The paper presents summarized results of lysimetric experiments intended to determine the impact of green manure crops and straw on chemical elements leaching (N, K, Ca, Corg) and of atmospheric precipitation infiltration in sandy loam Luvisol. Lysimeter surface area is 1.75 m2, the test soil layer is 0.60 m. It was determined that under climatic conditions of Lithuania, cover crops for green manure reduce atmospheric precipitation infiltration in sandy loam soil during autumn, and the effects of nutrient leaching depend on the plant species. Fabaceae plants clover (Trifolium pratense L.) stimulate nitrogen leaching, while Poaceae orchard grass (Dactylis glomerata L.) and Brassicaceae fodder radish (Raphanus sativus L.) lessen it. Incorporation of green manure biomass does not alter potassium and calcium leaching, but substantially reduces the organic carbon leaching.
- Adomaitis T., J. Maţvila, Z. Vaišvila, J. Arbačiauskas, A. Antanaitis, J. Lubytė, D. Sumskis The effect of long-term fertilisation on anion leaching. Ţemdirbystė=Agriculture, 1(97), 2010, p.71–82.
- Arlauskienė A., S. Maikštėnienė, A. Šlepetienė The effect of catch crops and straw on spring barley nitrogen nutrition and soil humus composition. Zemdirbyste-Agriculture, 96 (2),2009, p.53–70 (in Lithuanian, English summary)
- Bhogal A., F.A. Nicholson, B.J. Chambers Organic carbon additions: effects on soil bio-physical and physico-chemical properties. European Journal of Soil Science, 60, 2009, p. 276–286.
- Cicek H., J.R Thiessen Martens, K.C. Bamford, M.H. Entz Late-season catch crops reduce nitrate leaching risk after grazed green manures but release N slower than wheat demand. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 202, 2015, p. 31–41.
- Constantin J., B. Mary, F. Laurent, G. Aubrion, A. Fontaine, P. Kerveillant, N. Beaudoin Effects of catch crops, no till and reduced nitrogen fertilization on nitrogen leaching and balance in three long-term experiments. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 35 (4), 2010, p. 268–278.
- Cookson W.R., I.S. Cornforth, J.S. Rowarth Winter soil temperature (2–15oC) effects on nitrogen transformations in clover green manure amended or unamended soils; a laboratory and field study. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 34 (10), 2002, p. 401–1415.
- Kutra G., K. Gaigalas, A. Šmitienė Land use influence on nitrogen leaching and options for pollution mitigation. Zemdirbyste-Agriculture, 93(4), 2006, p.119-129.
- Macdonald A.J., P.R. Poulton, M.T. Howe, K.W.T Goulding, D.S. Powlson The use of cover crops in cereal-based cropping systems to control nitrate leaching in SE England. Plant and Soil, 273, 2005, p. 355-373.
- Pappa V. A., R.M. Rees, R.L. Walker, J.A. Baddeley, C.A. Watson Nitrous oxide emissions and nitrate leaching in an arable rotation resulting from the presence of an intercrop. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 141 (1-2), 2011, p. 153–161.
- Randall N. P, L.M. Donnison, P.J. Lewis How effective are slurry storage, cover or catch crops, woodland creation, controlled trafficking or break-up of compacted layers, and buffer strips as on-farm mitigation measures for delivering an improved water environment? Environmental Evidence, 1, 12, 2012.
- Rinnofner T., J.K. Friedel, R. De Kruijff, G. Pietsch, B. Freyer Effect of catch crops on N dynamics and following crops in organic farming. Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 28, 2008, p. 551-558.
- Sapkota T.B., M. Askegaard, M. Lægdsmand, J.E. Olesen Effects of catch crop type and root depth on nitrogen leaching and yield of spring barley. Field Crops Research, 125, 2012, p. 129–138.
- Sleutel S., S. De Neve, T. Nemeth, T. Toth, G. Hofman Effect of manure and fertilizer application on the distribution of organic carbon in different soil fractions in long-term field experiments. European Journal of Agronomy, 25 (3), 2006, p. 280-288.
- Sørensen P., G.H. Rubæk Leaching of nitrate and phosphorus after autumn and spring application of separated solid animal manures to winter wheat. Soil Use and Management, 28(1),2012, p.1-11.
- Thomsen I. K. Nitrate leaching under spring barley is influenced by the presence of a ryegrass catch crop: Results from a lysimeter experiment. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 111(1–4), 2005, p. 21–29.
- Valkama E., R. Lemola, H. Känkänen, E. Turtola Metaanalysis of the effects of undersown catch crops on nitrogen leaching loss and grain yields in the Nordic countries. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 203, 2015, p. 93– 101.
- Vinther F.P., E.M. Hansen, J. Erikse Leaching of soil organic carbon and nitrogen in sandy soils after cultivating grassclover swards. Biology and fertility of soil, 43, 2006, p. 12-19.
- World Reference Base for Soil Resources 2014. International soil classification system for naming soils and creating legends for soil maps. World Soil Resources Reports No. 106. FAO, Rome. 2015.