Pressures exerted on the soil ecosystem due to its exposure to Zn evoke a real and aggravating effect on the quality of life. Greenhouse pot experiments were conducted to study the effects of mineral amendments (zeolite and bentonite) on selected physico-chemical properties of soil, L. perenne growth, Zn accumulation in plant and soil. The contents of Zn in the plants and soil were determined using the method of spectrophotometry. Zn contents in the tested parts of L. perenne differed significantly in the case of applying amendments to the soil, as well as increasing concentrations of Zn. The greatest average above-ground biomass was observed when zeolite were amended into the soil. Bentonite also caused significant increases in Zn concentrations in the roots. Bentonite and zeolite were shown to be the most effective and decreased the average Zn contents in soil.
- Campillo-Cora C., Fernández-CalviñoD., PérezRodríguez P., Fernández-Sanjurjo M.J., Núñez-Delgado A., Álvarez-Rodríguez E., Arias-Estévez M., NóvoaMuñoz J.C. 2019. Copper and zinc in rhizospheric soil of wild plants growing in long-term acid vineyard soils. Insights on availability and metal remediation. Science of the Total Environment, 672, 389-399.
- Friesl W., Lombi E., Horak O. Wenzel W.W. 2003. Immobilization of heavy metals in soils using inorganic amendments in a greenhouse study. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 166, 191-196.
- Gong Y., Zhao D., Wang Q. 2018. An overview of fieldscale studies on remediation of soil contaminated with heavy metals and metalloids: Technical progress over the last decade. Water Research, 147, 440-460.
- González-Acevedo Z.I., García-Zarate M.A., NúñezZarco E.A., Anda-Martín B.I. 2018. Heavy metal sources and anthropogenic enrichment in the environment around the Cerro Prieto Geothermal Field, Mexico. Geothermics, 72, 170-181.
- Odoh C.K., Zabbey N., Sam K., Eze C.N. 2019. Status, progress and challenges of phytoremediation - An African scenario. Journal of Environmental Management, 237, 365-378.
- Park S., Kim K.S., Kim J.T., Kang D., Sung K. 2011. Effects of humic acid on phytodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons in soil simultaneously contaminated with heavy metals. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23, 12, 2034-2041.
- Radziemska M., Mazur Z. 2016. Content of selected heavy metals in Ni-contaminated soil following the application of halloysite and zeolite. Journal of Ecological Engineering, 17, 3, 125.
- Radziemska M., Gusiatin Z.M., Bilgin A. 2017. Potential of using immobilizing agents in aided phytostabilization on simulated contamination of soil with lead, Ecological Engineering, 102, 490-500.
- Rai P.K., Lee S.S., Zhang M., Tsang Y.F., Kim K.H. 2019. Heavy metals in food crops: Health risks, fate, mechanisms, and management. Environment International, 125, 365-385.
- Salam M.M.A., Mohsin M., Pulkkinen P., Pelkonen P., Pappinen A. 2019. Effects of soil amendments on the growth response and phytoextraction capability of a willow variety (S. viminalis × S. schwerinii × S. dasyclados) grown in contaminated soils. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 171, 753-770.
- Shi W., Shao H., Li H., Shao M., Du S. 2009. Progress in the remediation of hazardous heavy metal polluted soils by natural zeolite. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 170, 1- 6.
- Sun Y., Li Y., Xu Y., Liang X., Wang L. 2014. In situ stabilization remediation of cadmium (Cd) and lead (Pb) co-contaminated paddy soil using bentonite, Applied Clay Science,105-106, 200-206.
- Wang S., Chen S., Wang Y., Low A., Lu Q., Qiu R. 2016. Integration of organohalide-respiring bacteria and nanoscale zero-valent iron (Bio-nZVI-RD): A perfect marriage for the remediation of organohalide pollutants? Biotechnology Advances, 34, 8, 1384-1395.
- Wyszkowski M., Radziemska M. 2010. Effects of chromium (III and VI) on spring barley and maize biomass yield and content of nitrogenous compounds. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 73, 1274, 2010.
- Wyszkowski M., Radziemska M. 2013. Influence of chromium (III) and (VI) on the concentration of mineral elements in oat (Avena sativa L.). Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 22, 4, 979.
- Vijayarengan P., Mahalakshmi G. 2013. Zinc toxicity in tomato plants. World Applied Sciences Journal, 24, 5, 649.
- Zhan J., Li T., Zhang X., Yu H., Zhao L. 2018. Rhizosphere characteristics of phytostabilizer Athyrium wardii (Hook.) involved in Cd and Pb accumulation. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 148, 892-900.