A novel low cost adsorbent based on rice husks was obtained by slow pyrolysis at temperature 350°C and was characterized by means of SEM, Hg-porosimetry and N2-adsorption. The adsorption properties of the investigated material towards Fe(III), Pb(II), Cr(III) and Cu(II) ions in multi-component aqueous solutions with different concentrations and acidity were studied in a batch system. The adsorption of metals is significantly affected by the pH value. Equilibrium experimental data were fitted to linear Langmuir and Freundlich model and maximum adsorption capacities were calculated. Kinetic of adsorption in multi-component solutions was also investigated
- Krishnani K., X. Meng, C. Christodoulatos , V. Boddu, Biosorption mechanism of nine different heavy metals onto biomatrix from rice husk, J. Hazard. Mater. 153, 2008, 1222–1234.
- Dubey S.P., K. Gopal, Adsorption of chromium (VI) on low cost adsorbents derived from agricultural waste material: A comparative study. J. Hazard. Mater., 145, 2007, 465-470.
- Srivastava V., I. Mall, I. Mishra, Characterization of mesoporous rice husk ash (RHA) and adsorption kinetics of metal ions from aqueous solution onto RHA. J. Hazard. Mater. B134, 2006, 257-267.
- Krishnani V. Parimala, X. Meng, Detoxification of hexavalent chromium from coastal water using lignocellulosic waste, Water SA 30 , 2004, 541–545.
- Ngah W., M. Hanafiah, Removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater by chemically modified plant wastes as adsorbents: a review, Bioresource Technol. 99, 2008, 3935-3948.
- Hanzlik J., Jehlicka J., Sebek O., Weishauptova Z., Machovic V.: Multi-component adsorption of Ag(I), Cd(II) and Cu(II) by natural carbonaceous materials. Water Research, 2004, 38, 2178–2184
- Vassileva P., A. Detcheva, Adsorption of Some Transition Metals (Cu(II), Fe(III), Cr(III) and Au(III)) Onto Lignite-Based Activated Carbons Modified by Oxidation, Adsorption Science and Technology, 28, 2010, 229-242.
- Vassileva P., D. Voykova, Removal of Mn(II), Fe(III) and Cr(III) from aqueous solutions using Bulgarian clinoptilolite, Bulg. Chem. Commun. 44(2), 2012, 180 – 187.
- Vassileva P., A. Detcheva, L. Ivanova, S. Evtimova, Biosorption of Cd2+ ions using Mentha spicata L. and Ruta graveolens L., Comptes Rendus de L’Academie Bulgare des Sciences, 70(4), 2017, 497-504.
- Vassileva, P. A. Detcheva, Removal of toxic ions from aqueous solutions using lignite-coal-based activated carbons modified by oxidation, Int. J. Coal Prep. Util., 31, 2011, 242-257.
- El-Shafey, E. (2010) Removal of Zn(II) and Hg(II) from aqueous solution on a carbonaceous sorbent chemically prepared from rice husk, J. Hazard. Mater., 175, 319– 327.
- Febrianto J., A. Kosasih, J. Sunarso, Yi-Hsu Ju, N. Indraswati, S. Ismadji, Equilibrium and kinetic studies in adsorption of heavy metals using biosorbent: A summary of recent studies, J. Hazard. Mater. 162, 2009, 616-645.
- Vassileva P., D. Voykova, I. Uzunov, S. Uzunova, Methylene blue adsorption by Triticum monococcum L. husks based materials, Comptes Rendus de L’Academie Bulgare des Sciences, 71(9), 2018, 1192-1199.