The greatest fresh water user sector is agriculture worldwide. The optimum utilization of current water supplies is necessarily prerequisites particularly in water poor climates. It is almost impossible to obtain economical crop yield without irrigation in those types of environments. In general, vegetables are high water consuming crops and well responses to the adequate soil moisture levels in rooting depths. Correct irrigation program is vital important for reaching target optimal production. The present study aimed to analyze irrigation programs affect on yield and water use efficiency, WUE, of lettuce plant for different growing conditions. In accordance of previous studies, maximum yield was obtained from full irrigation treatment. Lettuce plants were not tolerant wide irrigation intervals e.g. 2 or 3-day ideal for optimal yield and quality. Evapotranspiration, ETc, was highly dependent on lettuce varieties, availability of soil moisture content in root systems as well as climatological factors, and ranged between 413 mm and 208 mm. The planting geometry also had effect on lettuce yield. The irrigation system is important, but the most important issue is proper water management for enhancing crop production. Use of sprinkler or drip irrigation system should be highly recommended for better yield, quality as well as efficient water usages or water savings in vegetable farming under correct irrigation program.
- Acharya SK., Shukla YR., Khatik PC. Effect of water regime on growth and yield of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.). The Biascan. 2013. Vol. 8, No. 1. P. 201-206.
- Denli N. Marul Yetiştiriciliği. 2015. T.C Gıda, Tarım ve Hayvancılık Bakanlığı, Tarımsal Araştırmalar ve Politikalar Genel Müdürliğü, Alata Bahçe Kültürleri Araştırma Enstitüsü, Erdemli-Mersin (In Turkish).
- Sezgin AC. Fruit, Vegetable and our health. Journal of Tourism and Gastronomy Studies. 2014. P. 46-51 (In Turkish).
- Yurtseven E., Bozkurt DO. Effects of irrigation water quality and soil moisture content on crop yield and quality of lettuce. Tarım Bilimleri Dergisi. 1997. Vol.3, No. 2. P. 44-51 (In Turkish).
- Acar B., Paksoy M., Türkmen Ö., Seymen M. Irrigation and nitrogen level affect lettuce yield in greenhouse condition. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2008. Vol.7, No. 24. P. 4450- 4453
- Yavuz D., Yavuz N., Suheri S. Energy and water use for drip-irrigated potato in the Middle Anatolian region of Turkey. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy. 2016. 35. P. 212- 220.
- Yavuz D., Yavuz N., Seymen M., Türkmen Ö. Evapotranspiration, crop coefficient and seed yield of drip irrigated pumpkin under semi-arid conditions. Scientia Horticulturae. 2015a. 97. P. 33-40.
- Yavuz D., Seymen M., Yavuz N., Turkmen Ö.. Effects of irrigation interval and quantity on the yield and quality of confectionary pumpkin grown under field conditions. Agricultural Water Management. 2015b. 159. P. 290-298.
- Alkhader AMF., Abu Rayyan AM. Improving water use efficiency of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) using phosphorus fertilizers. Springer Plus. 2013. Vol. 2. P. 1-8.
- Yavuz N., Çiftçi N., Yavuz D. Effects of different irrigation interval and plant-pan coefficient applications on yield and quality parameters of oil sunflower grown in semi-arid climate conditions. Arabian Journal of Geoscienses. 2019. https//doi.org/10.1007/s12517-019-4867-1
- Anonymous. Crop Coefficient For Use in Irrigation Scheduling. 2001. Water Conservation Factsheet, British Columbia, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries, P. 6.
- Allen RG., Pereira LS., Raes D., Smith M. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 56: Crop Evapotranspiration (Guidelines for computing crop water requirements), 2006. FAO, Rome, 300 (9), D05109.
- Karam F., Mounzer D., Sarkis F., Lahoud R. Yield and nitrogen efficiency of lettuce under different irrigation regimes. J. Appl. Hort. 2002. Vol. 4, No. 2. P. 70-76.
- Santosh DT., Reddy RG., Tiwari KN. Effect of drip irrigation levels on yield of lettuce under polyhouse and open field condition. Int. J. Curr., Microbiol.,App., Sci., 2017. Vol. 6, No. 7. P. 1210-1220.
- da Silva VPR., Tavares AL., Sousa TIF., da Silva TGF., de Holanda RM., de Souza EP., da Silva BB., Braga CC., Almeida RSR. Evapotranspiration, water use efficiency and cropcoefficient of three lettuce varieties grown in a tropical region. Revista de Ciencius Agrerias. 2018. Vol. 41, No. 8. P. 798-805
- Patil T., Singh M., Khanna M., Singh DK., Hasan M. Response of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) to trickle irrigation under different irrigation intervals, N application rate and crop geometry. Ind. Jn. Of Agri. Econ. 2013. Vol. 68, No. 4. P. 573- 582.
- Ansari M. Role of irrigation and nitrogen fertilizer stress on lettuce growth and development in precision agricultural system. 2018. MSc thesis, Faculty of California State Polytechnique University, Pomona, P. 68.
- Dlamini MV., Zwaine S. The effects of regulated deficit irrigation on the growth and yield of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) grown in the Malkerns Area, a region in the Kingdom of Estewani (Southern Africa). Asian Journal of Advances in Agricultural Research, AJAAR. 2020. Vol. 12, No. 3. P. 1-7.