In this paper the traction force and traction efficiency of an agricultural type tire were evaluated, using a semi-empirical traction model of the driving wheel of a Romanian tractor; the model is based on Bekker’s pressure-sinkage relationship and on the ASAE equations for traction force and traction efficiency.
Tire deformation under vertical load was taken into account by the means of tire volume stiffness; three variants were considered in terms of tire cross-section: elliptical shape, spherical segment shape and toroidal shape.
Experimental data, obtained when ploughing operations were performed, were used in order to validate the results predicted by the models, using goodness-of-fit analysis.
It was concluded that the model based on the spherical segment shape of the tire cross section provided acceptable results for both traction force and traction efficiency in comparison with the experimental values; the other two models were more accurate in relation with the traction force, but proved to be less precise when referring to traction efficiency.
- K. Pentos, K. Pieczarka, K. Lejman, "Application of Soft Computing Techniques for the Analysis of Tractive Properties of a Low-Power Agricultural Tractor under Various Soil Conditions", Complexity, 2020, Article ID 7607545, (2020) https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7607545
- E. Diserens, P. Défossez, A. Duboisset, A. Alaoui, "Prediction of the contact area of agricultural tractor tyres on firm soil", Biosystems Engineering, 110, 73-82 (2011)
- A. Mohsenimanesh, S.W. Ward, P.O.M. Owende, A. Javadi, "Modelling of pneumatic tractor tyre interaction with multi-layered soil", Biosystems Engineering, 104, 191-198 (2009)
- J. Dallas, M.P. Cole, P. Jayakumar, T. Ersal, "Neural network based terramechanics modelling and estimation for deformable terrains", Technical Report , US ARMY CCDC GVSC WARREN United States, Defense Technical Information Center (2019), on-line at: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/1080945.pdf
- M. Schreiber, H.D.Kutzbach, "Influence of soil and tire parameters on traction", Research in Agricultural Engineering, 54, 43-49 (2008)
- R. Rosca, P. Cârlescu, I. Tenu, "A semi-empirical traction prediction model for an agricultural tyre, based on the super ellipse shape of the contact surface", Soil&Tillage Research, 141, 10-18 (2014)
- ASAE D497.7, Agricultural Machinery Management Data (St. Joseph, Michigan, U.S.A., 2011)
- Koutný F., Geometry and mechanics of pneumatic tires (Zlin, CZE, 2007), on-line at: http://wanderlodgegurus.com/database/Theory/TireGeometry.pdf
- F. Ziani, J. Biarez, " Pressure sinkage relationship for tyres on very loose sand", Journal of terramechanics, 27 (3), 167-177 (1990)
- C.D. Schunn, D. Wallach D., Evaluating goodness-of-fit in comparison of models to data, in Psychologie der Kognition: Reden and Vorträge anlässlich der Emeritierung (University of Saarland Press, Saarbrueken, Germany, 2005), 115-154