CONSERVING OF THE RESOURCES
Efficiency of irrigation in growing tomatoes in greenhouse conditions
- 1 ISSAPP “Nikola Poushkarov”
Irrigation plays a key role in growing vegetable crops. The efficiency of irrigation is expressed in obtaining optimal yields in terms of quantity and quality. The use of water resources should be water and energy saving in order to reduce the costs of vegetable production and to be environmentally friendly. The main criteria for assessing the effectiveness of irrigation are the total and additional net incomes. In order to meet the set requirements for irrigation, the best effect is obtained by applying drip irrigation. When growing tomatoes, the value of the irrigation system is redeemed in the first year for areas over 5 dka, for areas below 5 dka it takes 2 years. Drip irrigation of tomatoes has shown that the frequency and size of irrigation rates affect the weight, diameter and length of the fruit, their number and hardness.
- Gadjalska, N., V. Petrova-Branicheva, V. Kancheva, T. Tashev, 2017. Adaptive models for irrigation of agricultural crops, Vodno delo vol. 1/2, p. 21-28, ISSN 0861-3036 (print); ISSN 2603-4786 (on-line).
- Wang D, Y H Kang, S Q. Wang, 2007. Effect of soil matric potential on tomato yield and water use under drip irrigation condition, Agricultural Water Management, 87, pp180-186.
- Dumas, Y, C. Leoni, C. A. M. Portas, B. Bieche, 1994. Influence of water and nitrogen availability on yield and quality of processing tomato in European Union countries, Acta Hortic., 376, p. 185-192.
- Hao, L., D. Ai-Wang, L. Fu-Sheng, S. Jing-Sheng, W. Yan- Cong, S. Chi-Tao, 2013. Drip irrigation scheduling for tomato grown in solar greenhouse based on pan evaporation in north China plain, Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 12(3), p. 520- 531.
- Sezen, M., G. Celikel, A. Yazar, Y. Mendi, S. Sahinler, S. Tekin, B. Gencel, 2006. Effects of drip irrigation management and different soilless culture on yield and quality of tomato grown in plastic house, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 9(4), p. 766-771.
- Li, X., J. Ma, L. Zheng, J. Che, X. Sun, X. Guo, 2022. Optimization of the Regulated Deficit Irrigation Strategy for Greenhouse Tomato Based on the Fuzzy Borda Model, Agriculture, 12, p. 324-340. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture12030324
- de Matos Pires, R. C., P. R. Furlani, R. V. Ribeiro, D. B. Junior, E. Sakai, A. L. Lourenção, A. T. Neto, 2011. Irrigation frequency and substrate volume effects in the growth and yield of tomato plants under greenhouse conditions, Sci. Agric. (Piracicaba, Braz.), v.68, n.4, p.400-405.
- Zhai, Y. M., X. H. Shao, W. G. Xing, Y. Wang, T. T. Hung, H. L. Xu, 2010. Effects of drip irrigation regimes on tomato fruit yield and water use efficiency, Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment, vol.8 (3/4), p. 709-713
- :Liu, J., Hu T, Feng P, Wang L, Yang S, 2019. Tomato yield and water use efficiency change with various soil moisture and potassium levels during different growth stages. PLoS ONE 14 (3), e0213643. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0213643
- Liu, J.; Hu, T.; Feng, P.; Yao, D.; Gao, F.; Hong, X., 2021. Effect of potassium fertilization during fruit development on tomato quality, potassium uptake, water and potassium use efficiency under deficit irrigation regime. Agric. Water Management, vol. 250, 106831, ISSN 0378-3774.
- Buttaro, D.; Santamaria, P.; Signore, A.; Cantore, V.; Boari, F.; Montesano, F.F.; Parente, A, 2015. Irrigation management of greenhouse tomato and cucumber using tensiometer: Effects on yield, quality and water use. Agric. Agric. Sci. Procedia, vol. 4, p. 440–444.