CONSERVING OF THE RESOURCES
Neglected and underutilized crop species a path to improving nutritional security and diversification of agriculture
- 1 Department of Agronomy, University Fan Noli Korça, Albania
Korça region is characterised by diverse agro-ecology and it is considered as one of the richest crop genetic resource centres for food and agriculture in Albania, but not all this richness has a continuity on cultivation and usage. Many of these species are well adapted to specific regions, to various environmental stresses and have often developed their unique characteristics, good resistance to abiotic and biotic factors common diseases and pests. They have a high potential for providing food, and nutritional security to support local food system transformation and contribute to the diversity and stability of agro-ecosystems and the diversification of agriculture. As a result, some of them are endangered, and to be lost in the near future. Encourages of their cultivation can provide a promising approach towards ensuring substantial household security and the diversification of agriculture. In his paper are indicated at least 31 crop species that are neglected or underutilized in Korça region, which can be included as future smart foods, and may contribute on diversification of food and cultivated crops.
- Agneta, R., Möllers, C., Rivelli, AR. (2013). Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana), a neglected medical and condiment species with a relevant glucosinolate profile: a review. Genet Resour Crop Evol 60:1923–1943.
- Arslan, M., Yol, E., Türk, M. (2022). Disentangling the genetic diversity of grass pea germplasm grown under lowland and highland conditions. Agronomy, 12, 2426. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy12102426.
- Baldermann, S., Blagojević, L., Frede, K., Klopsch, R., Neugart, S., Neumann, A., Ngwene, B., Norkeweit, J., Schröter, D., Schröter, A., Schweigert, F. J., Wiesner, M. & Schreiner, M. (2016). Are neglected plants the food for the future? Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, 35:2, 106-119.
- Bianco, V. V., Damo, R., Roshanji, N., Mero, Gj., (2001). Piante spontanee della flora albanese utilizzabili come ortaggi e piante da condimento / coordinato da Vito Vincenzo Bianco. Dipartimento di scienze delle produzioni vegetali, Università degli studi di Bari. Titolo parallelo: Bimët spontane të florës shqiptare të përdorshme si perime dhe bimë për erëza. 111 p. Bari, Italia.
- Bosi, G., Guarrera, P. M., Rinaldi, R., Bandini Mazzanti, M. (2009). Ethnobotany of purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.) in Italy and morphobiometric analyses of seeds from archaeological sites in the Emilia Romagna Region (Northern Italy). Plantsand Culture: seeds of the cultural heritage of Europe. Edipuglia s.r.l
- Calamai, A., Masoni, A., Marini, L., Dell‟acqua, M., Ganugi, P., Boukail, S., Benedettelli, S., Palchetti, E. (2020). Evaluation of the agronomic traits of 80 accessions of proso millet (Panicum miliaceum L.) under Mediterranean pedoclimatic conditions. Agriculture 10, 578.
- Damo, R., Icka, P., Damo, P., (2011). Portulaca oleracea bar i keq me potencial ushqyes të lartë. Buletini Shkencor (Seria e shkencave të zbatuara), Universiteti “Fan S. Noli”, Korçë, nr. 22, 31 – 52. ISSN: 2078-7111.
- de Souza, P. G., Rosenthal, A., Ayres, E. M. M., Teodoro, A. J. (2022). Potential functional food products and molecular mechanisms of Portulaca oleracea L. on anticancer activity: A review. Hindawi Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, Vol.2022, Article ID 7235412, 9 p.
- Di Cagno, R., Filannino, P., Vincentini, O., Cantatore, V., Cavoski, I., Gobbetti, M. (2019). Fermented Portulaca oleracea L. Juice: A novel functional beverage with potential ameliorating effects on the intestinal inflammation and epithelial injury. Nutrients 2019, 11, 248.
- Ebert, A., W. (2014). Potential of underutilized traditional vegetables and legume crops to contribute to food and nutritional security, income and more sustainable production systems. Sustainability 6, 319-335.
- Ekua, N. E., Che, D., Adams, S., Qin, G., Zhao, B., Jiang, H. (2019). Roles of homoarginine in the cardiovascular system. Applied ecology and environmental research, 17(5):10565- 10574.
- FAO (2018). In X. Li, & K. H. M. Siddique (Eds.), Future smart food: Rediscovering hidden treasures of neglected and underutilized species for zero hunger in Asia. Bangkok: Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
- Ghosh, K. (2012). New opportunities for a strategic focus on farmer varieties, landraces and underutilized species. In Padulosi, S., N. Bergamini and T. Lawrence, editors (2012). On farm conservation of neglected and underutilized species: status, trends and novel approaches to cope with climate change: Proceedings of an International Conference, Frankfurt, 14-16 June, 2011. Bioversity International, Rome.
- Gonnella, M., Charfeddine, M., Conversa, G., Santamaria, P. (2005). Portulaca: da infestante ad alimento funzionale? Colture protette, N. 3.
- Himanshu, K., Chauhan, M., Sonawane, S. K., Arya, S. S. (2018). Nutritional and nutraceutical properties of millets: A review. Clinical Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics 1(1): 1-10.
- Ibraliu, A. (2018). Evaluation of plant genetic resources in Albania. Tirane, Albania.
- Icka, P., Damo, R. (2018). Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana) and fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) two neglected crops. XIIIth International Symposium Tirana “Biodiversity and Sustainable Development”. 14 December 2018.
- IFAD (2021). How to do: promote neglected and underutilized species for domestic markets. Nutrition-sensitive Agriculture - Note no. 3.
- Kirleis, W., Dal Corso, M., Filipović, D. (2022). Millet and what else? The wider context of the adoption of millet cultivation in Europe. Sidestone Press Academics.
- Kumar, A., Sreedharan, S., Singh, P., Achigan-Dako, E. G., Ramchiary, N. (2021). Improvement of a traditional orphan food crop, Portulaca oleracea L. (Purslane) using genomics for sustainable food security and climate-resilient agriculture. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 5:711820.
- Lambein, F., Travella, S., Kuo, Y. H., Montagu, M. V., Heijde, M. (2019). Grass pea (Lathyrus sativus L.): orphan crop, nutraceutical or just plain food? Planta 250(3). p. 821-838.
- Li, X., Siddique, K. H. M. (2020). Future Smart Food: Harnessing the potential of neglected and underutilized species for Zero Hunger. Maternal & Child Nutritio; 16(S3): e13008.
- Llorent-Martínez, E.J., Zengin, G., Fernández-de Córdova, M.L., Bender, O., Atalay, A., Ceylan, R., Mollica, A., Mocan, A., Uysal, S., Guler, G.O., Aktumsek, A. (2017) Traditionally used Lathyrus species: phytochemical composition, antioxidant activity, enzyme inhibitory properties, cytotoxic effects, and in silico studies of L. czeczottianus and L. nissolia. Front Pharmacol 8:83.
- Marino, M (2012). The relevance of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture as a tangible instrument for sustainable agriculture. In Padulosi, S., N. Bergamini and T. Lawrence, editors (2012). On farm conservation of neglected and underutilized species: status, trends and novel approaches to cope with climate change: Proceedings of an International Conference, Frankfurt, 14-16 June, 2011. Bioversity International, Rome.
- Mishra, V., Chugh, V., Dwivedi, S. V., Sharma, K. D. (2020). Food and nutraceuticals value of purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.): An overview. The Pharma Innovation Journal, 9(7): 419-424. Oxfam Novib, ANDES, CTDT, Searice (2018). Neglected and underutilized species for improved diets. Briefing paper. The Hague: Oxfam Novib.
- Padulosi, S., Hoeschle-Zeledon, I. (2004). Underutilized plant species: what are they? Leisa Magazine, March.
- Palaniswamy, U.R., Bible, B.B., McAvoy, R. J., 2004. Oxalic acid concentrations in Purslane (Portulaca oleraceae L.) is altered by the stage of harvest and the nitrate to ammonium ratios in hydroponics. Scientia Horticulturae 102: 267–275.
- Peksel, A., Arisan-Atac, I., Yanardag, R., 2006. Antioxidant activities of aqueous extracts of purslane (Portulaca oleracea subsp. Sativa L.) Italian Journal of Food Science, 2006 vol. 18, n. 3. 295-308.
- Ramya, K. R., Tripathi, K., Pandey, A., Barpete, S., Gore, P. G., Raina, A. P., Khawar, K. M., Swain, N., Sarker, A. (2022). Rediscovering the potential of multifaceted orphan legume Grasspea- a sustainable resource with high nutritional values. Front. Nutr. 8: 826208.
- Rashed, A., Atifi, F., Shaedah, M., Taha, M. 2004. Investigation of the Active Constituents of Portulacae oleraceae L. (Portulacaceae) growing in Jordan. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Vol. 17, No.1, pp. 37-45.
- Rivelli, A. R., Caruso, M. C., De Maria, S., Galgano, F. (2017). Vitamin C content in leaves and roots of horseradish (Armoracia rusticana): Seasonal variation in fresh tissues and retention as affected by storage conditions. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture, 29(10):799-806.
- Rubiales, D., Emeran, A. A., Flores, F. (2020). Adaptation of Grass Pea (Lathyrus sativus) to Mediterranean Environments. Agronomy 10, 1295.
- Schmidt, M., Wei, W., Polthanee, A., Lam, N. T., Chuong, S., Qui, Li-j., Banterng, P., Dung, P. T., Glaser, S., Gretzmacher, R., Hager, V., de Korte, E., Li, Y.-h., Phuong, N. T., Ro, S., Zhang, Z.-y., Zhou, H.-f. (2008). Ambiguity in a trans-disciplinary stakeholder assessment of neglected and underutilized species in China, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam. Biodivers Conserv (2008) 17:1645–1666.
- Singh, S., Dhatt, U. K. (2021). Minor Crops: A Path towards Crop Diversification. International Journal of Current Science Research and Review, Vol. 4(12): 1627-1631.
- Stillo, P., Icka, P., Damo, R. (2018). Armoracia rusticana Gaertn., Mey. & Scherb. A neglected multiuseful species. BSHN (UT) 26: 312- 322.
- WHO (2007). WHO monographs on selected medicinal plants - Volume 3. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Will, M. (2008). Promoting Value Chains of Neglected and Underutilized Species for Pro-Poor Growth and Biodiversity Conservation. Guidelines and Good Practices. Global Facilitation Unit for Underutilized Species, Rome, Italy.
- Wydra, K. (2012). The insurance function of agrobiodiversity and the importance of monitoring its conservation and use to cope with change. In Padulosi, S., N. Bergamini and T. Lawrence, editors (2012). On farm conservation of neglected and underutilized species: status, trends and novel approaches to cope with climate change: Proceedings of an International Conference, Frankfurt, 14-16 June, 2011. Bioversity International, Rome.