Lettuce is an important leafy vegetable for Albanians. It is mostly used as a fresh salad. There are several forms (species) of lettuce that are cultivated in Albania, but Albanian farmers cultivate and market mostly the farmer’s cultivars (landraces), which are cultivars adapted to the conditions of the country and to the farming practice of the farmer. The introduction of foreign lettuce species increases the risk of genetic erosion of the farmer’s cultivars. Through various projects, cultivars of the salad farmer have been collected and their seeds are stored in the country’s Genetic Bank. This study was undertaken to recognize the morphological characteristics, as well as to evaluate the genetic variation of these genotypes with the aim of increasing the effectiveness of their using in possible genetic improvement programs, as well as other studies. In the study, 10 accessions (farmer cultivars) collected in different areas of Albania and stored in the Genetic Bank were taken.
- Beta E. (2016). Konsumoni marule (sallatë jeshile)? Ja çfarë nuk dini për të! Healthyfood;
- Jani S. (2022). Për studimin “Karakterizimi morfologjik dhe vlerësimin e disa acc të germplazmës së sallatës (Lactuca sativa L.)”, 2022. Raport. Instituti i Resurseve Gjenetike të Bimëve.
- Křístková E., Doležalová I., Lebeda A., Vinter V., Novotná A. (2008). Description of morphological characters of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) genetic resources. Hort. Sci. (Prague), 35, 2008 (3): 113–129;
- Kuete V. (2017). Medicinal Spices and Vegetables from Africa; therapeutic potencial against metabolic, inflamatore, infectious and systemic diseases. Amsterdam: Academic Press (2017);
- Lallouche Bahia, Hadj Kouider Boubakr, Beloudah Asma, Ben Madani Reguia and Boutekrabt Ammar (2020). Phenotypic characterization of some lettuce cultivars (Lactuca sativa L.) cultivated in Algeria. Revue Agrobiologia (2020) 10(1): 1787- 96;
- Pink D.A.C., Keane Evan M. (1993). Genetic Improvement of Vegetable Crops. 40-Lettuce: Lactuca sativa L. Available online 2 December 2012.