Overhead cranes are used in production halls, industrial buildings, transshipment yards, automobile factories, as well as in agricultural warehouses. The end carriage is an essential part of any overhead crane. Special attention is focused on the end carriage beam, which is a fundamental component of the end carriage in terms of load and strength. The introductory part of the paper aims to introduce the crane issues, particularly with respect to bridge cranes. The paper attends to the design of the end carriage beam for a single girder bridge crane with a 500 kg load carrying capacity including a strength analysis of the proposed beam. On the basis of the input load data of the end carriage beam and dimensions of area on which the main girder is placed on the end carriage beam, the minimum section modulus in bending was determined through the Allowable Stress Method as a critical parameter for the selection of the end carriage beam. The calculated value of the minimum section modulus in bending is 1416.18 mm3, based on which the U4O beam profile of S235 JR material was selected. One of the objectives is to create a 3D CAD model of the proposed end carriage beam and subsequently perform FEM analysis of the beam using Ansys engineering simulation software. The purpose of the analysis is to determine the maximum bending stress and maximum deflection of the end carriage beam. The results of the FEA analysis demonstrate that the proposed beam is satisfactory in terms of allowable stress and deflection. Moreover, the beam designed in this manner along with the numerical simulation results provides a precondition of its possible future production.
- A. Bhatia, Overview of Electric Overhead Traveling (EOT) Cranes: e-Book (Scotts Valley, California, CreateSpace, 2014).
- Kuľka J., M. Mantič, M. Puškár, Bridge cranes (In Slovak) (Košice, Technical university of Košice, 2018).
- Patel, V., Types of Electric Overhead Travel Cranes (EOT Cranes), Krishna Crane Engineers, 2019.
- Hrabovský, L., P. Vraník, Transport and Handling systems, 2nd ed. (In Czech) (Ostrava, VSB Technical university of Ostrava, 2017).
- J. Pavliska, Transport and Handling Equipment, 4th ed. (in Czech) (Ostrava, VSB Technical university of Ostrava, 2004).
- Hafid, A., D. Salimi, Ewitha, S. H. Nur, Analysis and Design of Crane Beam of Experimental Power Plant Turbine Building, Jour. of Physics Conf. Ser., 1198, 8 (2019).
- Todorović, S., M. Rogić, Automation and Optimization of Poject Operations in the Bridge Crane Design Process, in: Proceedings of 10 Anniversary International Conference on Accomplishments in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology, 26.-28. May, 2011, Banja Luka, 801-807.
- Ling, Z., M. Wang, J. Xia, S. Wang, X. Guo, Stress Analysis for the Critical Metal Structure of Bridge Crane, IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environ. Science, 108, 1-5 (2018).
- Javeed Basha, G. MD., S.K. Rao, A crane hook's design and stress values calculation, Europ. Jour. of Molec. and Clin. Medic., 4, 1 (2017).
- Brázda, R., J. Vyletělek, K. Skácel, P. Gűnther, J. Grabec, J. Žalčík, Transport and Handling Machines (In Czech) (Ostrava, VSB Technocal university of Ostrava, 2013).
- A. Bhatia, Electric Overhead Traveling (EOT) Cranes and Hoists (PDH Online. 2020).
- Molnár, D., M. Blatnický, J. Dižo, Design of a suitable cross-section of the main girder for a single girder bridge crane with a 500 kg load capacity, Technolog, 13, 3 (2021).
- Kulka, J., M. Mantic, G. Fedorko, V. Molnar, Failure analysis of increased rail wear of 200 tons foundry crane track, Engine. Fail. Analysis, 67, 1-14 (2016).
- Pavlović, G., M. Savković, N.B. Zdravković, G. Marković, Optimal Design of End Carriage Structures, Mech. Transp. Commun., 19, 3 (2021).
- Pavlović, G., M. Savković, N. Zdravković, G. Marković, Optimization Design of End Carriage of the Single-Girder Bridge Crane Structure, Mech. Transp. Commun., 18, 3 (2020).
- Li, H., H. Wu, Study on bridge structure of bridge crane, in: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Civil Engineering and Transportation, November, 2015, Guanzhou, China, 1776-1779.
- TSOVERHEADCRANE, Double girder bridge crane, https://www.tsoverheadcrane.com/overhead-bridge-cranes, last accessed 2023/04/02.
- DEMAG, End trucks, https://www.demag.sk/demag-pojazdy-dfw-l/, last accessed 2023/04/07.
- Molnár, D., M. Blatnický, J. Dižo, Comparison of analytical and numerical approach in bridge crane solution, Manuf. Techn., 22, 2 (2022).
- Molnár, D., M. Blatnický, J. Dižo, Design and strength analysis of a crane hook with a 500 kg lifting capacity, Pern. Cont., 16, 2 (2021).
- Blatnický, M., D. Molnár, J. Dižo, Design of a suitable steel wire rope and rope drum for a single girder bridge crane with a load capacity of 500 kg, Technolog, 13, 3 (2021).
- STN 27 0103: Design of steel crane structures. Slovak Office of Standards, Metrology and Testing, Bratislava (1989).
- FERONA, Catalog of steel profiles, https://online.ferona.cz/detail/28008/profil-u-valcovany-za-tepla-en- 10365-u-40, last accessed 2023/04/13.
- David V. Hutton, Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis, (New York, McGraw-Hill, 2004).
- Madenci, E., I. Guven, The Finite Element Method and Applications in Engineering Using Ansys (Berlin, Springer Verlag, 2015).
- P. Seshu, Textbook of Finite Element Analysis (New Delhi, PHI Learning, 2012).
- Suratkar, A., V. Shukla, 3D-modelling and finite element analysis of EOT crane, IJERT, 1, 2 (2013).