The information and ideas in this article are results of a six months PhD internship of the author Eng. Martin Ivanov in Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Hong Kong Fire Services Department in the field of fire safety in tall buildings in the second part of 2019. The main methods used in the paper are included observation and case studies. The reason for choosing this megalopolis for this internship was that in the world tall buildings database, developed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Hong Kong is the world leader with the biggest number of skyscrapers over 150 m with 355 buildings (runner up by New York City with 284). Also only in Hong Kong are half of the Top 100 tallest residential buildings in the world, some of them over 200 m.
A short retrospection of the worst fires in tall buildings in the world history was made and therefore the importance of the problem was shown clearly.
Two innovative practices from Hong Kong for better fire safety environment in tall buildings were shown – refuge floors and sky bridges. The first option provides a safety and fire proof place in different levels of the tall building. The second option represents bridges in different levels between two tall buildings which provide an opportunity for evacuation direction not only downstairs, like in “normal situation” in case of fire, but also upstairs, using the sky bridge and then going downstairs and evacuation from the next tall building. Conclusions for Bulgarian fire safety requirements in the field of tall buildings were made.
- Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, https://www.ctbuh.org/about/about/.
- CTBUH Height Criteria, https://www.ctbuh.org/criteria/.
- Capital Fort Business Center, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Fort. 2020.
- List of tallest buildings in Bulgaria https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in _Bulgaria. 2015.
- Regulation No. I-1971 of 29.10.2009 for construction-technical rules and regulations for ensuring fire safety, Ministry of the Interior of Bulgaria and Ministy for Regional Development and public works of Bulgaria. 2009.
- Codes of Practice for Minimum fire service installations and equipment and inspection, testing and maintenance of installations and equipment, F.S.D. website, Editor. Last revision: April 2012.
- Regulation No. GB50016-2014, Revision 2018, “Code for fire protection design of buildings”, issued by Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China.
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, Paragraph 220.127.116.11, N.F.P. Association, Editor. 2012: Quincy, Massachusetts, USA.
- World Trade Center Building Performance Study, Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA, May (2002).
- Mungler, S. "The Towering Inferno for real: The story of the Joelma Building disaster". Retrieved 2015-12-02. https://seanmunger.com/2015/02/01/the-towering-inferno-for-real-the-story-of-the-joelma-building-disaster/.
- "Fire turned hotel into death-trap chimney expert". South China Morning Post. United Press International. 28 December 1971.
- "Insufficient fire exits pushed up hotel deaths". South China Morning Post. 30 December 1971. p. 18.
- 章孝思 (Feb 1985). 《高层建筑防火》. 中国建筑工业出版社. ISBN 711200750X.
- Gale Harris (March 25, 2003). "Brown Building (formerly Asch Building) Designation Report" (PDF). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
- "Complete Transcript of Triangle Fire". Cornell University ILR School DigitalCommons@ILR. November 1, 1911.
- Lange, Brenda. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, Infobase Publishing, 2008, p. 58.
- "The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire". OSHA. June 10, 2015.
- Spignesi, Stephen J. (2002). Catastrophe:The 100 Greatest Disasters of All Time. Citadel Press. pp. 267– 269. ISBN 0-8065-2558-4.
- McElroy, James K. (January 1947). "The Hotel Winecoff Disaster" (PDF). Quarterly of the National Fire Protection Association. 40 (3).
- Codes of Practice for Minimum Fire Service Installations and Equipment and Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Installations and Equipment (FSI Code), Fire Services Department, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. 2012.
- Code of Practice for Fire Safety in Buildings (FS Code), Buildings Department, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. 2011.
- Yau Wai-ping (22 November 1996) "Survivors recount their horror ; Workers relive escape from blaze Archived 22 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine", The Standard.
- China's police chief calls for thorough investigation on cause of Shanghai high-rise fire". Xinhua. Xinhua News Agency. 16 November 2010.
- "Grenfell Tower floorplan shows how 120 flats were packed into highrise". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. 14 June 2017.
- Chelsea, R.B.o.K.a., "Grenfell Tower Regeneration Project Engagement Statement" (PDF). October, 2012.