The recent subject of great research challenge and one of the most active area of research for well in materials science include the development of nanofiller reinforced polymer materials for additive manufacturing application. The dispersion of nanofiller in polymer matrix is a critical issue not only for control of processing but also for pre-defined properties. Quantitative analysis of extent of dispersion of nanofiller by measuring the rheological and surface characteristics of polymer nanocomposites has great technical importance for improving processing conditions, as well as for understanding the fundamental characteristics of materials at the nanoscale. The incorporation of nanofiller graphene into polymers is a promising approach to impart certain electrical and magnetic properties, mechanical reinforcement and high thermal conductivity to the resulting material. Rheological and surface properties of the poly(lactic) acid (PLA) based nanocomposites incorporating 0-9 wt.%. graphene nanoplates (GNPs) were investigated in the present work and a new strategy to tune such properties of PLA matrix by varying filler content is proposed.
- Zhu Y, Sh. Murali, W. Cai, X. Li, J. W. Suk, J. R. Potts et al. Graphene and graphene oxide: synthesis, properties, and applications, Advanced Materials, 2010.
- Geim A.K., K.S.Novoselov, The rise of graphene, Nature Materials 6 (2007) pp183–191.
- Compton O.C., S.T. Nguyen, Graphene oxide, highly reduced graphene oxide, and graphene: Versatile building blocks for carbonbased materials, Small 6 (2010), pp711-723.
- Material data sheet TNGNP, TimeNano, Chengdu Organic Chemicals Co.Ltd., Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Ariza M.J., E. Rodriguez-Castellon, M. Munoz, J. Benavente, Surface chemical and electrokinetic characterizations of membranes containing different carriers by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and streaming potential measurements: study of the effect of pH, Surf. Interf. Anal. 34 (2002) pp637-641.
- L. Kock-Yee, H. Zhao, Surface Wetting: Characterization, Contact Angle, and Fundamentals: Springer (2016) pp16-17
- Fowkes F.M., Donor-acceptor interactions at interfaces, Journal of Adhesion 4 (1972) pp155-159.
- Fowkes F.M., Calculation of work of adhesion by pair potential summation, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 28 3-4 (1968) pp493-505
- Shimizu R. N., R. Demarquette, Appl. Polym. Sci. 76, (2000) pp1831-1845.
- Rudawska A., E. Jacniacka, Analysis for determining surface free energy uncertainty by the Owen–Wendt method. Int. J. Adhes. 29 (2009) pp451–457.
- Rulison, C. Models for Surface Free Energy Calculation Technical Note KRÜSS (1999)
- Owens D.K., R.C. Wendt, Estimation of the surface free energy of polymers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 13 pp1741–1747.
- Dos Santos E.A., M. Farina, G.A. Soares, K. Anselme, Surface energy of hydroxyapatite and β-tricalcium phosphate ceramics driving serum protein adsorption and osteoblast adhesion. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 19 (2007) pp2307–2316.
- Schramm L.I. Emulsions, foams, and suspensions: fundamentals and applications. Wiley-VHC Verlag GmbH, Weinheim (2005).
- Kotsilkova R: Thermosetting nanocomposites for engineering application, Rapra Smiths Group, UK (2007).
- Kotsilkova R, E. Ivanov, E. Krusteva, C. Silvestre, S. Cimmino, D. Durraci, Evolution of rheology, structure and properties around the rheological flocculation and percolation thresholds in polymer nanocomposites. In: “Ecosustainable Polymer Nanomaterials for Food Packaging” (C. Silvestre, S. Cimmino, Eds), Taylor & Francis Books, Inc., Ch.3, pp. 55-86, 2013.
- Chatterjee T, R. Krishnamoorti, Rheology of polymer carbon nanotube composites, Soft Matter 9 (2013) pp9515 – 9529.
- Hassanabadi H.M., M. Wilhelm, D. Rodrigue, A rheological criterion to determine the percolation threshold in polymer nanocomposites, Rheol. Acta 53 (2014) pp869 – 882.
- R. Buscall, P. Mills, J.W. Goodwin, D.W. Lawson, Scaling behavior of the rheology of aggregate network formed by colloidal particles, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 84 (1998) pp4249 – 4260.
- Wu D, L.Wu, W. Zhou, Y.Sun, M. Zhang, Relations bet ween the aspect ratio of carbon nanotubes and the formation of percolation networks in biodegradable polylactide/ carbon nanotube composites, J. Polym. Sci. B 48 (2010) pp479 – 489.
- Wu D, L.Wu, Y.Sun, M. Zhang, Rheology of multi-walled carbon nanotube/poly(butylene terephthalate) composites, J. Polym. Sci. B 45 (2007) pp2239 – 2251.
- Cosgrove T. Colloid science principles, methods and applications. 2. New York: Wiley Blackwell (2010).
- Ivanova R., R. Kotsilkova. Rheological study of poly(lactic) acid nanocomposites with carbon nanotubes and graphene additives as a tool for materials characterization for 3D printing, Application. Appl. Rheol. 28 (2018)
- Spinelli G., P. Lamberti, V. Tucci, R. Ivanova, S. Tabakova, E. Ivanov, R. Kotsilkova, S. Cimmino, R. Di Maio, C. Silvestre. Rheological and Electrical Behaviour of Nanocarbon/poly(lactic) Acid for 3D Printing Applications. Composites Part B, 2018 (in print)
- R. Paul, Functional Finishes for Textiles: Improving Comfort, Performance and Protection, Handbook of Elsevier, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK (2015).
- Novoselov, K.S., A.K Geim.; S.V. Morozov; D. Jiang; Y. Zhang, S.V. Dubonos, I.V. Grigorieva, A.A. Firsov, Electric field effect in atomically thin carbon films. Science 306, 2004, p.666– 669.
- Stankovich, S.; D.A. Dikin; G.H.B. Dommett; K.M. Kohlhaas,; E.J. Zimney; E.A. Stach; et al. Graphene-based composite materials. Nature 442 (2006) pp282–286.
- Ramanathan, T.; A.A. Abdala; S. Stankovich; D.A. Dikin; M.H. Alonso; R.D. Piner; et al. Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites. Nat. Nanotechnol. 3 (2008) pp327–331.
- Lee Y.R.; A.V. Raghu; H.M. Jeong; B.K. Kim, Properties of waterborne polyurethane=functionalized graphene sheet nanocomposites prepared by an in situ method. Macromol. Chem. Phys. 210 (2009) pp1247–1254.
- Xu, Y.; Y. Wang; L. Jiajie; Y. Huang; Y. Ma; X. Wan; et al. A hybrid material of graphene and poly (3,4-ethyldioxythiophene) with high conductivity, flexibility, and transparency. Nano Res. 2 (2009) pp343–348.
- Quan, H.; B. Zhang; Q. Zhao; R.K.K. Yuen,; R.K.Y. Li, Facile preparation and thermal degradation studies of graphite nanoplatelets (GNPs) filled thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) nanocomposites. Compos. Pt. A 40(2009) pp1506–1513.