TECHNOLOGICAL BASIS OF “INDUSTRY 4.0”
Reference framework and architecture for development of cyber-physical systems
- 1 Dept. of Industrial Automation, University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy Bul. Kl. Ohridski 8, Sofia, Bulgaria
The strategic initiative Industry 4.0 implies integration of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS), Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing, leading to what is called “smart factory”. The lack of theoretical foundation and methodologies creates barriers that may hamper the adoption, commercialization, and market success of the new CPS applications. The reference frameworks and architectures support the analysis and specification of domains, and facilitates the unification of methods used by various disciplines such as industrial engineering, control theory, communication and information technology, thus making possible their combined use. The paper presents an analysis of the benefits and use of reference frameworks and architectures in the development of CPS. Standardized meta-models of reference frameworks and architectures are presented. Particular attention is paid to the NIST reference framework and architecture of CPS, with a view to establishing a methodology for development of Cyber-Physical Production Systems.
- European Commission, Digital Agenda, http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/digitising-europeanindustry
- Schätz B., Törngren M., Bensalem S., Cengarle M. V., Pfeifer H., McDermid J., Passerone R., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli A., CyPhERS – Cyber-Physical European Roadmap & Strategy, CyPhERS project, FP7-ICT, area ICT-2013.3.4, by the European Commission, DG CONNECT, as Support Action, Contract number 611430, 2013.
- Industry 4.0, http://www.plattform-i40.de/I40/Navigation/EN/Home/home.html
- Kagermann H., Wahlster W., Helbig J., Recommendations for implementing the strategic initiative INDUSTRIE 4.0, Final report of the Industrie 4.0 Working Group, Akatech, April, 2013.
- Manufuture-EU, Brochure of Manufuture platform, www.manufuture.org.
- Rajkumar R., Lee I., Sha L., Stankovic J., “Cyber-physical systems: the next computing revolution”. In Proceedings of the 47th Design Automation Conference. ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp. 731-736, 2010.
- Hafner-Zimmermann S., Henshaw M. J. C., The future of transAtlantic collaboration in modeling and simulation of CyberPhysical Systems, A Strategic Research Agenda for Collaboration, Steinbeis-Edition, 2017, ISBN 978-3-95663-121- 4.
- CPS summit, Action Plan - Towards a Cross-Cutting Science of Cyber-Physical Systems for mastering all-important engineering challenges, Final Version 10th April 2016.
- VDI/VDE/ZVEI, GMA Status Report: Reference architectural model Industry 4.0 (RAMI4.0), 2015, https://www.vdi.de/.../VDIGMA_Statusreport_Referenzarchitektur.
- Industrial Internet of Things Consortium, The Industrial Internet of Things Volume G1: Reference Architecture, IIC:PUB:G1:V1.80:20170131, 2017.
- IoT-A 7FP project, Internet of Things Reference Architecture IoT-A, 2012, www.meet-iot.eu/deliverables-IOTA/D1_3.pdf .
- Cyber-Physical Systems Public Working Group (CPS PWG), Framework for Cyber-Physical Systems: Volume 1, Overview, Version 1.0, NIST Special Publication 1500-201, June, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6028/NIST.SP.1500-201.
- Bordel B., Alcarria R., Robles T., Martín D., Cyber–physical systems: Extending pervasive sensing from control theory to the Internet of Things, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Volume 40, September, 2017, pp.156-184.
- CyPhERS - Cyber-Physical European Roadmap & Strategy, Deliverable D2.1, Characteristics, capabilities, potential applications of Cyber-Physical Systems: a preliminary analysis, November 15, 2013, www.cyphers.eu.
- ARTEMIS-IA, https://artemis-ia.eu/projects-1.html
- Road2CPS, http://www.road2cps.eu/
- TAMS4CPS, http://www.tams4cps.eu/
- sCorPiuS, http://www.scorpius-project.eu/
- Mili H., Fayad M., Brugali D., Hamu D., Dori D. (2002), Enterprise frameworks: issues and research directions, Software - Practice and Experience, Softw. Pract. Exper., 32:801–831.
- Hilliard R. (2001), IEEE Std 1471 and Beyond, SEI's First Architecture Representation Workshop, 16-17 January.
- ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010, “Systems and software engineering – architecture description,” 2011, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=6129467.