This paper will examine whether information technology solutions can contribute to the work of a road repairer. The aim of the research is to develop an algorithm for identification and volume calculation of the road pits.
The paper presents an overview of three existing methods to identify holes as objects. Recent study uses an ultrasonic sensor to determine the size of a 3D hole; special attention is paid to its noise classification and possibilities for its reduction. The authors have found a way to organize road surface scanning, convert the resulting data into binary code and calculate the volume of the object. Calculations can be made on both a mobile microcontroller-controlled device and a computer after receiving data. A worker, a self-propelled robot or a drone can be used as a sensor carrier.
Study results can be used for further development in the field of transport systems engineering, as well as for mechatronics specialists to develop algorithm realization equipment in a real environment.
- Kaļinka M., Čekšs V. (2018). New technologies – underground radar and cable locators, their features and examples.
- Koch C., Brilakis I. (2011). Pothole detection in asphalt pavement images. Advanced Engineering Informatics 25(2011) 507- 515.
- Madli R., Hebbar S., Pattar P., Golla V. (2015). Automatic Detection and Notification of Potholes and Humps on Roads to Aid Drivers. IEEE SENSORS JOURNAL, VOL. 15, NO. 8., 7.lpp.
- Moazzam I., Kamal K., Mathavan S., Usman S., Rahman M. (2013). Metrology and Visualization of Potholes using the Microsoft Kinect Sensor. International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2013). 8.lpp.
- RoadScanners. Road Doctor® Pro Software Specifications for Version 2.5. (n.d.). Pieejams: http://www.toropol.pl/uploads/files/75971fa1408b335a9cec6f34b60ffc745ff23c34.pdf [Viewed: 20.04.2019.].
- RoadScanners. Software products. Road Doctor® (n.d.). Pieejams: http://www.roadscanners.com/products/softwareproducts/road-doctor/ [Viewed: 15.05.2019.].
- Saarenketo T. (2011). Recommendations for guidelines for the use of GPR in asphalt air voids content measurement. Pieejams: https://www.vegvesen.no/fag/fokusomrader/forskning+og+utvikling/Avsluttede+FoUprogram/Varige+veger/Rapporter/_attachment/1337478?_ts=15461427550&fast_title =GPR+recommendations+for+guidelines [Viewed: 22.04.2019.].
- S.Pulkit. (2019). Computer Vision Tutorial: A Step-by-Step Introduction to Image Segmentation Techniques. Pieejams: https://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2019/04/introduction-imagesegmentationtechniques-python/ [Viewed: 01.05.2019.].
- SV Solutions. 3D Services. Geological. (n.d.). Available: http://www.roadgeoscan.eu/services/ [Viewed: 01.05.2019].
- Latvian road operator. Three types of technology are used to repair potholes on the black road screed. (2016). Available: https://lvceli.lv/uncategorized/bedruremontam-uz-melnajiem-celusegumiem-izmanto-tris-veidu-tehnologijas/ [Viewed: 20.04.2019].
- "Latvian state Roads" VAS. Road Specifications 2019. (2019). Available: https://lvceli.lv/wpcontent/uploads/2019/02/Celu_specifikacijas_2019.pdf [Viewed: 20.04.2019.].