The main scope of this paper is to fully integrate simulation from open source CFD software with the Matlab App Designer program. The OpenFOAM-Matlab CFD interface allows one to conveniently setup fully turbulent incompressible Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) CFD case all within an easy to use graphical user interface (GUI). Highlighting built-in CAD tools to create geometry (STL) for automatic mesh generation to OpenFOAM case file as well as a solution with post-processing and visualization with ParaView. Also, the cross-platform OpenFOAM CFD interface for MATLAB should allow the user to rapidly design the spiral casing in an engineering manner as an illustrative platform and coordinator between the inputs chosen by the user and the results which are displayed after calculations. Furthermore, the GUI should be a very flexible and user-friendly platform for spiral casing design according to the efficiency and static pressure recovery coefficient as well.
- ] OpenFOAM, “The Open Source CFD Toolbox, User Guide” Version 3.0.1, 2015.
- Eck, B.: “Fans, Design, and operation of centrifugal, axial-flow and cross-flow fans”. Pergamon Press, 1973, chap. 11, pp. 189-192.
- Carolus, Th.: “Ventilatoren”, Springer, 2013, chap. 2, pp. 40- 44.
- E. Ayder R. Van den Braembussche: “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Flow in a Centrifugal Compressor Volute”, Journal of Turbomachinery, 115(3): 582-589 1993.
- Gjeta A., Bamberger K., Carolus Th, Londo A.: “ Parametric Study of Volutes for Optimal Centrifugal Fan Impellers”, FAN 2018 - International Conference on Fan Noise, Aerodynamics, Applications & Systems, Darmstadt, Germany, April 18-20, 2018.
- Gjeta, A. 2019. “Effect of Clearance Gap in Spiral Casing Design of a Centrifugal Fan with Optimized Impellers”. European Journal of Engineering Research and Science. 4, 9 (Sep. 2019), 181-185. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24018/ejers.2019.4.9.1533.
- Ferziger, Joel H.; Perić, M.: “Computational methods for fluid dynamics”. 3rd, rev. ed. Berlin, London: Springer, 2002
- Patankar, S. V.: “Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow”, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 1980
- Bommes, L., Fricke, J., Grundmann, R.: ” Ventilatoren “. Vulkan-Verlag, Essen, 2003.
- R.K. Turton: "Principles of Turbomachinery”, 1995, ch. 6, pp. 121-13.