SOCIETY & ”INDUSTRY 4.0”
Analysis of the Effective Factors for Hotel Selection by Using the Fuzzy AHP Method
- 1 Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Department of Transport Technology and Economics, Hungary1
The selection of accommodation plays a crucial role in tourist trips as an unsuitable choice might affect the tourists’ activities. Decision-making related to the choice of an optimal hotel is a complex process due to the variety of factors and tourist preferences. By applying the Fuzzy AHP (analytical hierarchy process) method, this study aims to overcome uncertainty and to support the tourists’ decisions to choose the optimum hotel on the booking.com website. The adopted criteria for optimal selection include hotel rating, hotel price, Wi-Fi availability, free parking, breakfast availability, and free cancellation service. The criteria are compared to stakeholder preferences and weighted by using the FAHP method. The results show that the hotel price is the most influential criterion in hotel selection, whereas the free cancellation criterion has the lowest impact.
- Cooper C, Fletcher J, Fyall A, Gilbert D, Wanhill S. Turismo: princípios e prática. Bookman; 2000.
- Batra A. Senior pleasure tourists: Examination of their demography, travel experience, and travel behavior upon visiting the bangkok metropolis. Int J Hosp Tour Adm. (2009);10 (3):197– 212.
- Caber M, Albayrak T. Does the importance of hotel attributes differ for senior tourists?: A comparison of three markets. Int J Contemp Hosp Manag. (2014);26 (4):610–28.
- Tsai H, Song H, Wong KKF. Tourism and hotel competitiveness research. J Travel Tour Mark. (2009);26 (5–6):522–46.
- Jang S, Liu T, Kang JH, Yang H. Understanding important hotel attributes from the consumer perspective over time. Australas Mark J. (2018);26 (1):23–30.
- Mahdi AJ, Esztergár-Kiss D. Variables associated with the tourists’ activity chain: definition, grouping, and measurement approaches. (2020);
- Ananth M, DeMicco FJ, Moreo PJ, Howey RM. Marketplace Lodging Needs of Mature Travelers. Cornell Hotel Restaur Adm Q. (1992);33 (4):12–24.
- Lockyer T. Understanding the dynamics of the hotel accommodation purchase decision. Int J Contemp Hosp Manag. (2005);17 (6):481–92.
- Stringam BB, Gerdes J, Vanleeuwen DM. Assessing the importance and relationships of ratings on user-generated traveler reviews. J Qual Assur Hosp Tour. (2010);11 (2):73–92.
- Bronner F, De Hoog R. Vacationers and the economic “double dip” in Europe. Tour Manag. (2014);40:330–7.
- Mulpuru S, Sehgal V, Evans PF, Hoar A, Roberge D. US Online Retail Forecast, 2011 To 2016. Forrester Res [Internet]. (2012);27. Available from: http://www.forrester.com/US+Online+Retail+Forecast+2011+To+2 016/fulltext/-/E-RES60672?docid=60672
- Standing C, Tang-Taye JP, Boyer M. The Impact of the Internet in Travel and Tourism: A Research Review 2001-2010. J Travel Tour Mark. (2014);31 (1):82–113.
- Hashim NAAN, Safri FHM, Yusof AM, Omar RNR, Velayuthan SK, Hashim H, et al. Disintermediation Threat : How and What Strategies are Used by Traditional Travel Agency to Survive ? TEST Eng Manag. (2019);59 (6S):1022–31.
- Vahidnia MH, Alesheikh AA, Alimohammadi A. Hospital site selection using fuzzy AHP and its derivatives. J Environ Manage. (2009);90 (10):3048–56.
- Chou TY, Hsu CL, Chen MC. A fuzzy multi-criteria decision model for international tourist hotels location selection. Int J Hosp Manag. (2008);27 (2):293–301.
- Sohrabi B, Vanani IR, Tahmasebipur K, Fazli S. An exploratory analysis of hotel selection factors: A comprehensive survey of Tehran hotels. Int J Hosp Manag. (2012);31 (1):96–106.
- Raja Omar RN, Nik Hashim NAA, Mohamad Zain EN, Fahmie Ramlee SI, Abdul Halim AF, Mohd Rohzi AF, et al. Factors that influence online behaviour in purchasing hotel room via website among tourists. Eur J Mol Clin Med. (2020);7 (7):219–29.
- Booking. Booking.com | Official site | The best hotels & accommodation [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2021 Mar 17]. Available from: https://www.booking.com/index.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr- 1BCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaDKIAQGYAQm4AQrIAQXYAQHoAQ GIAgGoAgO4AsuC5PoFwAIB0gIkYjRhZDkxZjAtNDRlMC00M mY1LTg3YzYtMjc5Yzk5YjQwNmRi2AIF4AIB;sid=abe53766c46 44976573e7badd0244aa2;keep_landing=1&sb_price_type=total&
- Garrigos-Simon FJ, Galdon JL, Sanz-Blas S. Effects of crowdvoting on hotels: the Booking.com case. Int J Contemp Hosp Manag. (2017);29 (1):419–37.
- Saaty TL. Fundamentals of the Analytic Hierarchy Process. In: The analytic hierarchy process in natural resource and environmental decision making. Springer; 2001. p. 15–35.
- Kahraman C, Cebeci U, Ulukan Z. Multi‐ criteria supplier selection using fuzzy AHP. Logist Inf Manag. (2003);16 (6):382–94.
- Chang DY. Applications of the extent analysis method on fuzzy AHP. Eur J Oper Res. (1996);95 (3):649–55.