New technologies have lately decisively entered our personal lives as well as penetrated our businesses, including tourism. Our paper discusses the role of technology in transformation of traditional high-touch services, co-created by tourism personnel, into high-tech services performed by tourists themselves in ‘do-it-your-self” (DIY) way. The participant-observation research method has been applied to present the problem. The results point out certain types of services that are becoming hardly available to tourists without adequate digital equipment and certain technical competence. DIY type of services can be particularly challenging to the ‘silver’ tourists of the baby-boom cohort who are typically not as digitally competent as is younger travelling generation. The findings open serious questioning over general ability of tourists to physically, psychologically and culturally follow the pace of such technological change.
- Blooberg, J. (2018). Digitization, Digitalization, and Digital Transformation: Confuse Them At Your Peril. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbloomberg/2018/04/29/digitizati on-digitalization-and-digital-transformation-confuse-them-at-your-peril/?sh=3ea428ba2f2c
- DeWalt, K. M. and DeWalt, M (2011). Participant observation. A guide for fielworkers. 2nd edition, Landham : Altamira Press.
- Dimock, M. (2019). Defining generations: Where Millennials and and Generation Z begins. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/17/where-millennials-end-and-generation-z-begins/
- Gretzel., U. in Jamal, T. (2009). Conceptualizing the Creative Tourism Class: Technology, Mobility and Tourism Experiences. Tourism Analysis, 14 (4). 471-481.
- Krishen, A. S.; Berezan, O.; Agarwal, S. in Kachroo, P. (2016). The generation virtual need: Recipes for satisfaction in social media network. Journal of Business Research, 69, 5248-525.
- Kotler, P.; Bowen, J. T.; Makens, J. C. and Seyhmus Baloglu (2017), Maketing for Hospitality and Tourism. 7th Edition. Pearson: New Jersey.
- Kramer, J. (2019). High-tech ad high-touch. A hospitality oxymoron. Retrieved from https://www.sabrehospitality.com/blog/high-tech-and-high-touch-a-hospitality-oxymoron/
- Marchetti, S. (2020). When high touch is forbidden contactless becomes the solution. Retrieved from https://twissen.com/travellers/when-high-touch-forbidden-contactless-becomes-solution/.
- McDonnell, J. (2018). How To Offer A Hight-Touch Experience In A High-Tech World. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesbostoncouncil/2018/07/23/how-to-offer-a-high-touch-experience-in-a-high-tech-world/?sh=281a973458d8.
- McGuire, K. (2015). Top 10 Global Trend that will Impact Hospitality in 2015. Retrieved from https://blogs.sas.com/content/sascom/2015/01/27/top-10-global-trends-that-will-impact-hospitality-in-2015/
- Miles, M. B.; Huberman, A. M. and Saldaña, J. (2014). Qualitaative Data Analysis. A Methods Sourcebook. 3rd edition. Sage : Los Angeles.
- Naisbitt, J in Naisbitt, J. (2017). Mastering Megatrends: Understanding & Leveraging the Evolving New World. World Scientifing Publishing : Singapore.
- Neuhofer, B.; Buhalis, D. in Ladkin A. (2015). Smart technologies for personalized experiences: A case study in the hospitality domain. Electronic Markets, 25 (3). 243-254.
- Nominet (2017). Digital generation gap remains wide open as older generation fail to embrace new technology. Retrieved from https://www.nominet.uk/digital-generation-gap-remains-wide-open-older-generations-fail-embrace-new-technology/
- Pencarelli, T. (2020). The digital revolution in the travel and tourism industry. Information technology & Tourism, 22(3), 455- 476.
- Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. On the Horizon, 9 (5), 1-6.
- Ritzer, G. in Jurgenso, N. (2010). Production, Consumption, Prosumption. Journal of Consumer Culture 10 (1). 13-36.
- Santos, M.C, Veiga, C. in Aguas, P. (2016). Tourism searches: facing the challenges of new tourism profiles. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 8 (6), 654-669.
- Stankov, U. in Gretzel, U. (2020). Tourism 4.0 technologies nad tourist experience: a human- centered design perspective. Information Technology & Tourism, 22. 477-488.
- Starc Peceny, U.; Urbančič J.; Mokorel, S.; Kuralt, V. in Ilijaš, T. (2019). Tourism 4.0: Challenges in Marketing a Paradigm Shift. Consumer Bahaviour and Marketing, March 2019.
- Tussyadiah, I. P. (2017). Tecnology and Behavioral Design in Tourism. V: Fesenmaier, D. R. in Xiang, Z. (Editors), Design Science in Tourism (173-191). Springer International Publishing.
- Yin, R. K. (2018). Case study research and applications. Design and Methods. 6th Edition. Sage : Los Angeles.
- Wali, B (2017). A hotel is just a building. TEDx talks. Youtube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLzf12d4eU
- Zupan Korže, S. (2019). From Industry 4.0 to Tourism 4.0.
- Innovative Issues and Approaches in Social Science, 12 (3). 43-66.