Solar energy has a drawback when it works individually, because it could not produce electrical energy in rainy and cloudy seasons, and during the night time. Wind energy is not constant and it varies from zero to storm force. This means that wind turbines do not produce the same amount of electricity all the time. Therefore, the need to overcome these drawbacks could be by combining two energy resources so that any one source fails the other source will keep generating electricity. In this study, a designed prototype that combines two energy resources wind and solar energy will be constructed and tested. The design will supply the sustainable energy resources without damaging the nature and gives uninterrupted power. Also it works during day time and produce DC power by the solar PV cell which is stored in the battery bank through a hybrid controller, which maximizes charging current and prevents excessive discharge/overcharge. The Wind turbine generator will generate power when wind speed exceeds cut-in speed; wind power is also stored in the battery bank through hybrid controller. Energy stored in the battery is drawn by electrical loads through the inverter, which converts DC into AC power. The inverter has in-built protection for short-circuit, reverse polarity, low battery voltage and over load. The battery bank is sizing to feed loads up to five hours, during non-sun/wind days. The designed prototype has proved to work efficiently for a sustainable electricity supply for 24 hours, the results of this work give an incentive to proceed with building and using such sustainable power generation systems (hybrid) that have proven to be efficient and economically feasible to use for continuous energy generation which is suitable for urban, rural and isolated areas.
- Barton J.P and D.G. Infield (June 2004).'' Energy storage and its use with intermittent renewable energy'' Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on, 19(2):441 –448
- Jzef Paska, Piotr Biczel, and Mariusz Klos (2009)'' Hybrid power systems - an effective way of utilizing primary energy sources'' Renewable Energy, 34(11):2414 – 2421
- Burton T, D, Sharpe, N, Jenkins, and E. Bossanyi (2001), Wind Energy: Handbook. J. Wiley, Chichester, UK and New York, NY, USA, 642 pp
- Alek Indra (2012), Industrial Fiber Optic Products for Wind Turbine and Wind Farm Applications
- Mojgan Nikouei.(2013),"Design and Evaluation of the Vienna Rectifier for a 5MW Wind Turbine System"http://www.brightonwebs.co.uk/energy/rayleigh_wind_2.aspx 2013
- Jiang Chang and Shu-Yun Jia (2009), “Modeling and application of wind-solar energy hybrid power generation system based on multi-agent technology” IEEE International Conference on machines learning and cybernetics, vol. 32, Page(s): 1754 – 1758,
- Yesh wenth V.J., R.U Dhayaprakash and Naveen Krishna (2008), “Analysis of DC Connection for capacitor Energy Storage in Wind power Generation System” ICCEE International Conference on computer and electrical engineering, Page(s): 125 –129.
- Nwosu C.A., M. Eng. and M.U. Agu, Ph.D, May 2009,“Power and Energy Balance in Wind-Solar Hybrid Power System”, The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, Volume 10. Number 1
- Ghassan Halasa.( 2010), '' Wind-Solar Hybrid Electrical Power Generation in Jordan'', Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Volume4, Number 1, Pages 205 – 209
- Yandra Shivrath 1, P. Badari Narayana 2, Srikanth Thirumala Setty 3, Dr .E. Laxmi Narsaiah (2012),'' Design & Integration of Wind-Solar Hybrid Energy System for Drip Irrigation Pumping Application'', International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER), Vol.2, Issue.4, July-Aug pp-2947-2950
- Ahmed Abouel yazied Abdallh.(2013), "Efficient Modeling, Control and Optimization of Hybrid Renewable-Conventional Energy Systems '',' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL of RENEWABLE ENERGY RESEARCH, Vol.3, No.4
- Ashish S. Ingole and Bhushan S. Rakhonde (2015), '' Hybrid Power Generation System Using Wind Energy and Solar Energy'' International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 5, Issue 3
- Ben Atiallah A, L.Kadi , B. Dakyo (2010)," Modeling and Optimization of Wind Energy Systems", Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Volume 4, Number 1, Jan.
- Ahmed E. Ghitas, A. Abulwfa, and Yasser A. Abdel-Had, November (2016)," An Assessment of Wind Energy Potential as a Power Generation Source in Helwan", Journal of Clean Energy Technologies, Vol. 4, No. 6.
- Khasawneh Qais Azzam, Qatada Abdullah Damrab, Omayyad HusniBany Selman.(2015), " Determining the Optimum Tilt Angle for Solar Applications in Northern Jordan", Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Volume 9 Number 3