The use of renewable sources for energy purposes is very important from the global environmental perspective. Biomass is part of this group of fuels. This article focuses on the characteristics of wet biomass, a typical fuel source in the Albanian rural areas and not only. Thus, the most significant factor of biomass combustion is its moisture content in natural conditions. This property significantly influences the burning quality of biomass. Drying of this fuel using conventional methods or energy intensity processes aims to decrease the moisture content in biomass and meantime increase of its calorific value. The techniques of drying wet biomass vary significantly. Energy utilization of wet biomass is the main goal of this paper, considering it an important fuel source especially during winter season in Albanian rural areas. The variation of heating value to moisture content and other significant parameters have been investigated.
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). 2016. Available online: http://www.irena.org/publications/2016/Oct/Renewable-Energy-in-Cities
- Shah, M.A.; Khan, M.N.S.; Kumar, V. Biomass residue characterization for their potential application as biofuels. J. Therm. Analyt. Calorim. 2018, 134, 2137–2145.
- Renewable Readiness Assessment, The Republic of Albania, IRENA, March 2021
- Renewable energy, www.akbn.gov.al/ wpcontent/uploads/2019/06/Renewable- Energy.pdf.
- Zeneli,E., Shira, A., Bidaj, F.: A comparative study of space heating scenarios of Korça city regarding to energy and cost analysis, https://stumejournals.com/journals/i4/2021/3/122 Industry4.0 Vol. 6 (2021), Issue 3, pg(s) 122-125
- Zeneli, E., Shira, A., Bidaj F, Hoxha., A: Small hydropower development and hydro-energy policy: Case of Albania, 5th South East European Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, SEE SDEWES, May 22-26, 2022, Vlore Albania, ISSN 2706-3682
- Ministry of Environment and Tourism https://turizmi.gov.al/biodiversiteti/
- L. Fagernäs, J. Brammer, C.Wilen, M.Lauer a F.Verhoeff. Drying of biomass for second generation synfuel production [online]. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2010.04.005
- Balas, M., Moskalik, J.: Měření vlhkosti paliv. Sborník příspěvků ze semináře „Energie z biomasy X“, VUT v Brně, 2009, ISBN 978-80-214-4027-2
- Worley, Matt. Biomass Drying Technology Update . Available from:http://www.tappi.org/content/Events/11BIOPRO/19.2Worley.pdf