In this paper we have presented a framework, which proposes to adopt blockchain technology for ID card management in Albania, to increase the security and privacy of personal data. The way how the actual ID cards in Albanian tend to offer security is by using a microprocessor, encrypting the data in the card. However, the centralized data management systems have single points of failure that leave the system vulnerable to attack and operational risks such as: (1) inside hacking, where unauthorized changes of personal information may happen from the inside system; (2) fake digital identities creation or (3) sale of personal identity‟s data to third interested parties. An answer to address the above-mentioned drawbacks is a decentralized identity management system, which calls for a user-centered strategy and returns complete identification control to the individual. Blockchain technology has the potential to revolutionize modern civilizations and their applications. Administrative processes, security, privacy, integrity and confidentiality are some actions that could have an impact. Furthermore, we present an analysis of previous work on blockchain-based identity management and provide a proposal use case applicable in Albania compared to actual implementation.
- Jacobs, B., Poll, E. Biometrics and Smart Cards in Identity Management. In book: Innovating Government, January 2011, pp. 419-438, DOI: 10.1007/978-90-6704-731-9_23.
- World Economic Forum, Committed to Improving the State of the World. I Insight Report – Identity in a Digital World. A New Chapter in the Social Contract. 2018. Available at: https://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_INSIGHT_REPORT_ Digital%20Identity.pdf.
- El Haddouti, S., El Kettani, M. D.E.-C. Analysis of Identity Management Systems Using Blockchain technology. Proc. of the International Conference on Advanced Technologies and Networking (CommNet), April 2019, pp. 1-7, published by IEEE, Online ISBN: 978-1-5386-8317-0, Print ISBN: 978-1- 5386-8318-7, DOI: 10.1109/COMMNET.2019.8742375
- Lopez, A. M. Self-Sovereign Identity – The Future of Identity: Self-Sovereignity, Digital Wallets and Blockchain. September 2020, DOI: 10.18235/002635, Available at: https://publications.iadb.org/en/self-sovereign-identity-future-identity-self-sovereignity-digital-wallets-and-blockchain.
- Martinson, P. Estonia the Digital Republic Secured by Blockchain. 2019, Available at: https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/services/legal/tech/assets/estonia-the-digital-republic-secured-by-blockchain.pdf, Visited on September 2022.
- Gelb, A., Clark, J. Identification for Development: The Biometrics Revolution. Center for Global Development, CDG, Washington, 2013, Available at: https://www.cgdev.org/sites/default/files/1426862_file_Biomet ric_ID_for_Development.pdf.
- Tan, E., Mahula, S., Crompyoets, J. Blockchain Governance in the Public Sector: A Conceptual Framework for Public Management. Government Information Quartly, Vol. 39, Issue 1, January 2022, pp. 101625 ISSN: 0740-640X, DOI: 10.1016/j.giq.2021.101625, Published by Elsevier.
- The Digital Society, Estonian e-Residency. Available at: https://e-estonia.com/eresidents/about/, Latest access: October 2022
- Sullivan, C., Burger, E. E-residency and Blockchain. Computer Law & Security Review: The International Journal of Technology and Practice, 2017. Published by Elsevier Ltd, ScienceDirect, Volume 33, Issue 4, pp.470-481, 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.clsr.2017.03.016.
- Miah, M. S. U., Hossain, M. S., Rupai, A. A. A. Introduction to Blockchain – Blockchian for Data Analytics. January 2019, Pubulished by Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK, ISBN (10): 1-5275-4429-X, ISBN (13): 978-1-5275-4429-1
- Mohammed, A. H., Abdulateef, A. A., Abdulateef, I. A. Hyperldeger, Ethereum and Blockchain Technology: A Short Overview. In 2021 3rd International Congress on Human- Computer Interaction, Optimization and Robotic Applications (HORA), June 2021, DOI: 10.1109/HORA52670.2021.9461294.
- Sajana, P., Sindhu, M., Sethumudhavan, M. On Blockchain Applications: Hyperledger Fabric and Ethereum. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 118, No. 18, 2018, pp. 2965-2970, ISSN online: 1314-3395, ISSN print: 1311-8080
- Gopal, N., Biju, J. M., Prakash, V. V. Different Blockchain Platforms and Algorithms. In International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 4853-4858, March 2019, e-ISSN: 2395-0056, p-ISSN: 2395- 0072.
- Zhou, H., Fard, A. M., Makanju, A. The State of Ethereum Smart Contracts Security: Vulnerabilities, Countermeasures, and Tool Support. Journal of Cybersecurity and Privacy, 2022, 2, pp. 358-378, DOI: 10.3390/jcp2020019.
- Kushch, S., Baryshev, Y., Ranise, S. Blockchain Tree as a Solution for Distributed Storage of Personal ID Data and Document Access Control. Sensor 2022, Vol. 13, No.2, pp. 3621, Published by MDPI, DOI: 10.3390/s20133621.
- Shome, A., Biswas, M., Datta, P., Bhowmik, A. A secured Smart National Identity Card Management Design Using Blockchain. In 2nd International Conference on Advanced Information and Communication Technology, UIU, Dhaka, Bangladesh, November 2020, DOI: 20.1109/ICAICT51780.2020.9333487.
- Tammpuu, P., Masso, A. Transnational Digital Identity as an Instrument for Global Digitalization Residency. Information System Frontiers, 2019, Vol. 21, No. 2, DOI: 10.1007/s10796- 019-09908-y.
- Mapperson, J. One Million South Koreans Now Have Blockchain Drivers Licences. August 2020. Available at: https://cointelegraph.com/news/one-million-south-koreans-now-have-blockchain-drivers-licenses.
- Wang, H. Yang, D. Research and Development of Blockchain Recordkeeping at the National Archives at Korea. Computers, 2021, 10, 19, DOI: 10.3390/computers10080090.
- ShoCard Inc. ShoCard: Travel Identity for the Future – White Paper. SITA. Available at: https://canada-ca.github.io/PCTF-CCP/docs/RelatedPolicies/SITA_Identity_2016.pdf, Accessed on: October 2022.
- ShoCard Inc. Available: https://shocard.com/ , Accessed on: October 2022.
- Braendgaard, P. What is a uPort identity?. February 2017, Available at: https://medium.com/uport/what-is-a-uport-identity-b790b065809c, Latest accessed October 2022.
- Young, A., and Verhulst, S. Self Sovereign Identity for Government Services in Zug, Switzerland. October 2018, Available at: https://blockchan.ge/blockchange-government-services.pdf.
- Sovrin Foundation. Sovrin: A Protocol and Token for Self- Sovereign Identity and Decentralized Trust. A White Paper from the Sovrin Foundation Version 1.0. January 2018. Available at: https://sovrin.org/wp-content/uploads/Sovrin- Protocol-and-Token-White-Paper.pdf, latest access: October 2022.
- Windley, Ph. J. Sovrin: An Identity Metasystem for Self- Sovereign Identity. Frontiers in Blockchian, Vol. 4, July 2021, DOI: 10.3389/fbloc.2021.626726.
- AKSHI. Axhenda Digjitale e Shqiperise 2022-2026. Available at: https://akshi.gov.al/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/vendim- 2022-06-01-370-Agjenda-Digjitale-e-Shqiperise-22-26-dhe-plani-i-veprimit.pdf, Latest access: October 2022.
- E-Albania Portal. Available at: https://e-albania.al/, Latest access: October 2022.
- Elezaj, O., Tole, Dh., Baci, N. Big Data in e-Government Environments: Albania as a Case Study. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, Vol. 7, No.2, pp. 117-124, July 2018, Online ISSN: 2281-4612, Print ISSN: 2281-3993, DOI: 10.2478/ajis-2018-0052.
- Prifti, V. Information Data Management in Big Data. Case study: E-Albania Government Portal. International Scientific Journal “Industry 4.0‖, 2022, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 87-89, Online ISSN: 2524-997X, Print ISSN: 2534-8582.
- Salliu, F. What is the Stage of Development of Albania in the Information Society?. European Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. May-August 2015, Vol. 1, No. 2, Online ISSN: 2411- 4138, Print ISSN: 2411-958X, pp.141-153.
- Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Investigation and Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Agency, ―Iranian State Actors Conduct Cyber Operations Against the Government of Albania‖, Joint Cybersecurity Advisory, September 2022, Available at: https://www.ic3.gov/Media/News/2022/220921.pdf, Accessed on October 2022.
- ikubINFO Software Engineering, ―Government Gateway Platform‖, Available at: https://ikubinfo.al/government-gateway/, Accessed on October 2022.