DOMINANT TECHNOLOGIES IN “INDUSTRY 4.0”
Defect detection by frequency analysis of flexural vibrations of free-free composite beam
- 1 Sofia University “St.Kliment Ohridski”, Faculty of Physics, Sofia, Bulgaria; Institute of Mechanics at Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
This paper presents experimental investigations using a vibration method by impulse excitation of free flexural oscillations of composite beams. The purpose of the study is to establish the sensitivity of the method and technique used for defect detection and localization. To realize the objective, rectangular groove type defects were simulated at different distances and depths. The influence of the location and depth of the artificial cracks on the dynamic properties of the beams was investigated. The resonance frequencies were determined by frequency analysis. A decrease in the resonant frequencies of the flexural oscillations is observed. The experiments conducted show a change in the dynamic characteristics of the beam depending on the dimensions and location of the defects.
- N. Maia et al. Damage detection in structures: From mode shape to frequency response function methods. MSSP 17(3): 489- 498 (2003).
- E. Manoach et al. Vibration based damage detection in composite beams under temperature variations using Poincaré maps. IJMS, 62(1): 120-132(2012).
- E. Manoach et al. Vibration Based Methods For Damage Detection In Structures. MATEC Web Conf. 83 (2016).
- A. Mohan, S. Poobal. Crack detection using image processing: A critical review and analysis. Alex. Eng. J. 57(2): 787-798(2018).
- E. Moustafa. Dynamic Characteristics Study for Surface Composite of AMMNCs Matrix Fabricated by Friction Stir Process. Materials (Basel) 11(7) (2018).
- M. Aydın et al. Effect of Orientation Angles on Vibration Properties at Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Composites. E-Journal of New World Sciences Academy 13(3): 180-189(2018).
- S. Iliopoulos et al. Detection and evaluation of cracks in the concrete buffer of the Belgian Nuclear Waste container using combined NDT techniques. Constr Build Mater. 78: 369-378(2015).
- D. Ngo-Cong, et al. Free vibration analysis of laminated composite plates based on FSDT using one-dimensional IRBFN method. Comput Struct 89(1): 1-13(2011).
- G. Pereira et al. Crack Detection in Fibre Reinforced Plastic Structures Using Embedded Fibre Bragg Grating Sensors: Theory, Model Development and Experimental Validation. PloS one 10 (10): e0141495-e0141495(2015).
- H. Hu et al. Damage detection of surface cracks in composite laminates using modal analysis and strain energy method. Compos. Struct. 74(4): 399-405 (2006).
- C. Della and D. Shu. Free vibration analysis of composite beams with overlapping delaminations. Eur J Mech A Solids 24(3): 491-503 (2005).
- E. Moustafa et al. Detecting Damage in Carbon Fibre Composites using Numerical Analysis and Vibration Measurements, Lat. Am. J. Solids Struct, 18(3), e362. (2021)
- C. Kyriazoglou et al. Vibration damping for crack detection in composite laminates. 'Compos. - A: Appl. Sci. Manuf. 35(7): 945- 953 (2004).
- J. Yu et al. Studies on Crack Propagation of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Resin Composite. Adv. Mater. Res. 79-82: 1029- 1033(2009).
- F. Iezzi, et al. Experimental Validation of Damage Indices Based on Complex Modes for Damage Detection in Vibrating Structures. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Damage Assessment of Structures, Singapore, Springer Singapore (2020).
- J. Wen et al. Damage detection of carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites via electrical resistance measurement. Compos. B. Eng. 42(1): 77-86 (2011).