The paper focuses on the evaluation of the quality of joints of thin-walled dissimilar overlapped materials, formed by thermal drilling without a screw. The shaped interference fit joint is formed by simultaneously forming both overlapped materials, preheated by the friction of a flowdrill tool, and forming a pair of embedded concentric bushings. The joints were made on a CNC milling centre, at constant speed, with tool feed being the only variable. Three tool movement strategies – three movement schemes – were tested. By evaluating the quality of the joints using metallographic sections, the optimum tool movement strategy was selected.
- Kaščák Ľ., Mucha J., Slota J., Spišák E. Application of modern joining methods in car production. 1. Vyd, Rzeszów: Oficyjna Wydawnicza Politechniki Rzeszowskiej, 2013. 143 p. ISBN 978-83-7199-903-8.
- Kumar R., Rajesh Jesudoss Hynes N. Thermal drilling processing on sheet metals: A review, International Journal of Lightweight Materials and Manufacture, 2(3) 2019, 193-205, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijlmm.2019.08.003
- Raju B.P., Swamy M.K. Finite element simulation of a friction drilling process using deform-3D, Int. J. Eng. Res. and App. 2(6), (2012), 716-721, https://www.ijera.com/papers/Vol2_issue6/DD26716721.pdf
- Prabhu T., Arulmurugu A. Experimental and analysis of friction drilling on aluminium and copper, Int. J. Mech. Eng. Tech., 5 (2014), 130-139
- El-Bahloul S.A., El-Shourbagy H.E., El-Midany T.T. Optimization of thermal friction drilling process based on Taguchi method and fuzzy logic technique, Int. J. Sci. Eng. Appl., 4 (2015), 55-59
- Schmerler R., Rothe F. Hybridfügen durch Fließlochformen. Germany, 2020.
- Guzanová A. et al. Investigation of Applicability Flowdrill Technology for Joining Thin-Walled Metal Sheets. Metals 12,4 (2022), 1-23, https://doi.org/10.3390/met12040540.
- Flowdrill. User Guide. [online], 2003. Dostupné na internete: https://dts-aa.dk/pdf/User_Guide_eng.pdf
- Ozek C., Demir Z. Investigate the Friction Drilling of Aluminium Alloys According to the Thermal Conductivity, TEM Journal, 2, 2013, 93-101, ISSN 2217-8333