A new two-coil crucible induction furnace with a lateral coil connected to the one-phase electric power supply and a bottom coil connected to a capacitor bank with an appropriate value of the capacity is able to realize a desired balance between the induction heating of the lateral face and of the bottom face of the furnace bath. The evaluation of the optimum value of the capacity, which corresponds to the same mean value of the induced power density on the respective faces, represents an example of simulation-driven optimal design. Finite element models are used to study many variants of the new furnace related the number of turns of the two coils and related the diameter of the furnace bath for imposed bath volume.
- Willermoz, G., Panaget, L. (2016). Electromagnetic induction furnace and use of the furnace for melting a mixture of metal(s) and oxide (s), said mixture represented a corium. US patent 2016/0113071 A1, Apr. 2016.
- Fireteanu, V., Mahu, R., Constantin, A. I. (2015). Finite element analysis of a new furnace with travelling field inductor for induction heating, electromagnetic stirring and levitation of molten titanium alloys. EPM2015, Cannes, France, Oct. 2015.
- Lucia, O., Maussion, P., Dede, E. Burdio, J. (2014). Induction heating technology and its applications: past developments, current technology and future challenges. Transactions of Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 2509–2520, May 2014.
- Mansoor, M., Shahid, M. (2014). On the design, efficiency and stirring force of an induction coil for the processing of prototype Al based nanocomposites. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Journal of Metallurgy, Volume 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/637031.
- Umbrasko, A., Baake, E., Nacke, B., Jakovics, A. (2008) Numerical studies of the melting process in the induction furnace with cold crucible, COMPEL: Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 27 (2008), pp. 359-368.
- Arellano, I., Plascenia, G., Carillo, E., Barron, M., Sanchez, A., Gutierez, J. (2007) Design of an Induction glass melting furnace by means of mathematical modelling using the finite element method. (2007). Material Science Forum, Vol. 553, pp. 124-129, (2007) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Fishman, O., Nadot, V., Peysakhovich, V., Mortimer, J. (2003). Induction furnace with improved efficiency coil system. US patent 6,542,535, April 2003.
- Michel, P., Seon, F., Perrier de la Bathie, R. (1991) Preparation of phosphates by induction heating. US patent 5,030,430, July 9, 1991.
- Zin, S., Semiatin, S. L. (1988). Coil design and fabrication: basic design and modifications. Heat treating, Jun/Aug/Oct 1988.
- Bingen, R., Cordier, J. P., Georges, R. (1980). Coreless induction furnace. US patent 4,238,637, Dec 1980.
- Otto Junker. Medium-frequency coreless induction furnaces. www.otto-junker.de.
- Altair Engineering, FLUX software V2018.1.3