The desalination is an important technological process applied not only to obtain drinking water, but also for wastewater treatment from e.g. dyes, textile and mining industry. In this process, membrane processes such as reverse osmosis, pervaporation, electrodialysis and membrane distillation are quite commonly used. This work focuses on membrane distillation. The research was carried out in order to produce membranes absorbing solar radiation, to use this energy in the distillation process. Membranes were produced using the phase inversion method from polysulfone polymer at various proportions of ingredients to select the optimal blend composition. The fabricated membranes were investigated to assess wettability, maximum pore size and execute preliminary tests of the membrane distillation process.
- Hoekstra A.Y., M.M.Mekonnen, A.K.Chapagain, R.E.Mathews, B.D.Richter: Global monthly water scarcity: blue water footprints versus blue water availability, PLoS One, Volume 7, Issues 2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0032688
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs Water Scarcity. Retrieved 2016, From Internation Decade for Action ‘Water for Life’, http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/scarcity.shtml (2015)
- Shatat M., M.Worall S.Riffat: Opportunities for solar water desalination worldwide: Review, Sustainable Cities and Society, Volume 9, 2013, Pages 67-80, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2013.03.004
- Buros O.K., The ABCs of desalting (2nd edition), Massachusetts, International Desalination Association, USA (2000), p. 30, https://water.ca.gov/LegacyFiles/pubs/surfacewater/abcs_of_de salting/abcs_of_desalting.pdf
- Khoshrou I., M.R.Jafari Nasr K.Bakhtari, New opportunities in mass and energy consumption of the Multi-Stage Flash Distillation type of brackish water desalination process, Solar Energy, Volume 153, 2017, Pages 115-125, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.05.021
- Catrini P., A.Cipollina F.Giacalone. G.Micale A.Piacentino A.Tamburini, Thermodynamic, Exergy, and Thermoeconomic analysis of Multiple Effect Distillation Processes, Renewable Energy Powered Desalination Handbook, Application and Thermodynamics – chapter 12, 2018, Pages 445-489, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-815244-7.00012-X
- Hu B., D. Wu, R.Z.Wang, Water vapor compression and its various applications, Renewable and Sustainable Energy ReviewsVolume 98, 2018, Pages 92-107, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.08.050
- El-Nashar A., Cogeneration for power and desalination— state of the art review, Desalination, Volume 134, 2001, Pages 7-28.
- Ali M.T., H.E.S. Fath, P.R. Armstrong, A comprehensive techno-economical review of indirect solar desalination, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 15 2011, Pages 4187- 4199, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2011.05.012
- Pilat B., Practice of water desalination by electrodialysis, Desalination, Volume 139, Issues 1–3, 2001, Pages 385-392, DOI: 10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00338-1
- Pangarkar B.L., M.G. Sane, S.B. Parjane, M. Guddad, Status of membrane distillation for water and wastewater treatment – a review, Desalination Water Treat., Volume 52, 2014, Pages 5199-5218, DOI: 10.1080/19443994.2013.808422
- Lokare O.R., S. Tavakkoli, G. Rodriguez, V. Khanna, R.D. Vidic, Integrating membrane distillation with waste heat from natural gas compressor stations for produced water treatment in Pennsylvania, Desalination, Volumer 413, 2017, Pages 144-153, DOI: 10.1016/j.desal.2017.03.022
- Dongare P.D., A.Alabastri, S.Pedersen, K. R. Zodrow, et al., Nanophotonics-enabled solar membrane distillation for off-grid water purification, PNAS, Volume 114, 2017 Pages 6936-6941, DOI10.1073/pnas.1701835114
- Liang W., Chenyang Y., Bin Z., et al., Hydrophobic polyacrylonitrile membrane preparation and its use in membrane contactor for CO2 absorption, Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 569, 2019, Pages 157-165, DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2018.09.066
- Rahbari-Sisakht M., A.F. Ismail, D. Rana, T. Matsuura Effect of novel surface modifying macromolecules on morphology and performance of Polysulfone hollow fiber membrane contactor for CO2 absorption Sep. Purif. Technol., Volume 99 (2012), Pages 61-68