Ion plasma nitriding of ferritic steel AISI 430 f
- 1 State University Tetova, Republic of Macedonia
- 2 Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy – Ss Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje Republic of Macedonia
- 3 Kocaeli University, Kocaeli-Turkey
In this research work, results of the ion plasma nitriding of the ferritic steel AISI 430F are presented . From the raw material solid bar ф35 were machined specimens with the following dimension 20x20x15. Prepared specimens were plasma nitrided in the installation ION-20. According to research plan the temperatures of 430, 480 and 530 0C, and nitriding times of 3, 6 and 9 hours were used. Nitriding gas for this experiment was ammonia Pulsed direct current was used for the nitriding.
After performing of the ion plasma nitriding process, experimental specimens were subjected to different investigations, mainly microstructural and tribological. Main facilities used for investigations are: device for determination wear resistance “ball-on-disc” (Nanovea), 3D profilometer for surface roughness determination, Optical Microscope Leits and SEM JEOL for microstructural investigations, XRD spectrometer (Rigaku RINT Ultima+) and Vickers microhardness tester for the microhardness measurement. Investigations confirmed that depending of the process parameters different characteristics of nitride layers were obtained. The following characteristic values important for the analysis of the nitride layer was obtained: specific wear rate, volume lost, friction coefficient, width of the wear path, type of wear, type of structure of the nitride layer and maximal hardness of the nitride layer. Performed investigations confirmed that ion plasma nirtriding improve surface properties of the investigate specimens compered with untreated specimen of the raw material. The effect of ion plasma nitriding is directly influenced by the nitriding parameters i.e. temperature and time of the nitriding process.
- McGuire M. F., Stainless steels for design engineers, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio-USA, 2008.
- V. Toshkov, Nazif Jashari, S. Cvetkovski, On the Ion Nitriding of Austenitic Steel 316, VIIIth International Metallurgical Congress, Ohrid, 30.05-03.06. 2018
- Ş. Hakan Atapek, Nazif Jashari, Sveto Cvetkovski, Şeyda Polat, Gülşah Aktaş Çelik, TRIBOLOGICAL CHARACTERIZATON OF ION PLASMA NITRIDED STAINLESS STEELS, VIIIth [1[ International Metallurgical Congress, Ohrid, 30.05-03.06. 2018
- 2. Davis, J. R., ASM specialty handbook: stainless steels, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio-USA, 1994.
- Luo Q., Oluwafemi O., Kitchen M. and Yang S., Tribological properties and wear mechanisms of DC pulse plasma nitrided austenitic stainless steel in dry reciprocating sliding tests. Wear 376-377 (2017) pp. 1640-1651
- Sung J. H., Kong J. H., Yoo D. K., On H. Y., Lee D. J. and Lee H. W., Phase changes of the AISI 430 ferritic stainless steels after high-temperature gas nitriding and tempering heat treatment. Materials Science and Engineering A 489 (2008) pp. 38-43.
- ASM Handbook, Heat treating, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio-USA, 1991.
- Totten G. E., Steel heat treatment handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2006.
- Hutchings I. M., Tribology: friction and wear of engineering materials. Hodder& Stoughton, London-UK, 1992.
- Prabhudev K. H., Handbook of heat treatment of steels. McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1988.
- Li Y., He Y., Xiu J., Wang W., Zhu Y. and Hu B., Wear and corrosion properties of AISI 420 martensitic stainless steel treated by active screen plasma nitriding, Surface and Coatings Technology 329 (2017) pp. 184-192.
- Devaraju A., Elayaperumal A., Alphonsa J., Kailas S. V. and Venugopal S., Microstructure and dry sliding wear resistance evaluation of plasma nitride austenitic stainless steel type AISI 316LN against different sliders, Surface and Coatings Technology 207 (2012) pp. 406-412.
- Hardell, B. Prakash, Tribological performance of surface engineered tool steel at elevated temperatures, Int. Journal of Refractory Metals & Hard Materials, 28, (2010), 106-114.
- K. Lukaszkowicz, A. Czyzniewski, W. Kwasny, M.
- M. Kalin and J. Jerina, The effect of temperature and sliding distance on coated (CrN, TiAlN) and uncoated nitride hot-work tool steels against an aluminium alloy, Wear, 330-331(2015), p. 371.
- J. Eriksson and M. Olsson, Tribological testing of commercial CrN, (Ti,Al)N and CrC/C PVD coatings – Evaluation of galling and wear characteristics against high strength steels, Surf. Coat. Technol., 205(2011), No. 16, p. 4045.