Corrosion stability in salt medium of stainless steel and carbon steel, using different oxide sol gel coatings
- 1 Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Metal Science, Equipment and Technologies with Hydro- and Aerodynamics Centre “Acad. A. Balevski”, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2 Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 3 Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Electrochemistry and Energy Systems, Bulgaria
Three types of oxide sol gel coatings: TiO2, CeO2 and TiO2/CeO2 composite were deposited by sol gel method on stainless steel and carbon steel. The morphology was examined by means of Scanning electron microscopy (SEM). X-ray diffraction analyses (XRD) were applied to investigate the phase composition. The corrosion resistances of the coatings were studied by evaluation of the weight loss in NaCl medium for 1200 hours. The surface of the TiO2 samples were relatively dense with a few surface nanocrystals and after tests does not shown any signs of corrosion. Тhe composite TiO2/CeO2 samples possess deep cracks which evidently favor the attacks in corrosion medium. Ceria and titania coatings deposited on stainless steel have zero weight loss in corrosive medium. The TiO2 coatings could also effective protect carbon steel, while the TiO2/CeO2 and CeO2 coatings exhibited lower corrosion resistance.
- Fini M, Aldini N. N, Torricelli P., Giavaresi G., Borsari V., Lenger, H, Bernauer J., Giardino R., Chiesa R, Cigada A., Biomaterials 24 (2003) 4929.
- Durán A., Castro Y., Aparicio M., Conde A., De Damborenea J.J., Protection and surface modification of metals with sol–gel coatings, Intern.Mater.Rev. 52 (2007) 175.
- Lopez D.A., Simison S.N., Sanchez SR., The influence of steel microstructure on CO2 corrosion. EIS studies on the inhibition efficiency of benzimidazole, Electrochim. Acta, 48 (2003) 845-85
- Padhy N., Mudali U.K, Chawla V., Chandra R, B. Raj, Mater. Chem. Phys. 130 (2011) 962.
- Gallardo J., Duran A., Damborenea J.J., Corros. Sci. 46 (2004) 795.
- Pinzón A. V., K. J. Urrego, A. González-Hernández, M. R Ortiz, F.V. Galvis, Corrosion protection of carbon steel by alumina-titania ceramic coatings used for industrial applications, Ceram. Intern., 44 (2018), 21765.
- Makishima, A., Asami M., , Wada K, Preparation and properties of TiO2 -CeO2 coatings by the sol-gel process, J. Non-Crystall. Solids, 121( 1990)310.
- Makishima, A., Asami M., , Wada K., Preparation and properties of TiO2 -CeO2 coatings by the sol-gel process, Journal of NonCrystalline Solids, 100 (1988) 321.
- Exarno, G. J., Hess N. J, Spectroscopic measurements of stress relaxation during thermally induced crystallization of amorphous titania films, Thin Solid Films 220 (1992) 254.
- Teeuw D. H. J., De Haas M., De Hosson J. Th. M, Residual stress fields in sol-gel-derived thin TiO2 layers, J. Mater. Res. 14 (1999) 1896.
- Scott, M. L., Nat. Bur. Stand. (US) Spec. Publ. 688 (1985) 329.