Structure, phase composition and hydrogen sorption properties of eutectic alloy Ti47.5Zr30.2Mn22.5 obtained using titanium sponge
- 1 G. V. Kurdyumov Institute for Metal Physics of the N.A.S. of Ukraine - Kyiv, Ukraine
The microstructure and phase composition of the eutectic alloy Ti47.5Zr30.2Mn22.5 obtained using titanium sponge, as well as the phase composition of hydrogenation product were investigated by scanning electron microscopy and X-ray phase analysis. It was found that when iodide titanium was completely replaced by titanium sponge, the alloy structure remained eutectic and consisted of bcc solid solution and Laves phase. It was shown that after a sorption-desorption cycle the alloy was in activated state and was capable to absorb hydrogen at room temperature and low pressure (0.21 MPa) starting from the first seconds of contact with hydrogen atmosphere, with hydrogen capacity of 2.61 wt.%.
- V. Ivanchenko, T. Pryadko, V. Dekhtyarenko, T. Kosorukova. Hydrogen absorbing properties of a Ti-Zr-Mn eutectic alloy, Chemistry of metals and alloys, 1 (2): 2008, р. 133-136.
- M. Kazemipour, H. Salimijazi, A. Saidi, A. Saatchi, A. Arefarjmand, Hydrogen storage properties of Ti0.72Zr0.28Mn1.6V0.4 alloy prepared by mechanical alloying and copper boat induction melting, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 39, No. 24: 2014, р. 12784-12788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.06.085
- Y. Zhang, J. Li, T. Zhang, T. Wu, H. Kou, X. Xue, Hydrogenation thermokinetics and activation behavior of nonstoichiometric Zr-based Laves alloys with enhanced hydrogen storage capacity, J. Alloys and Compounds, 694: 2017, p. 300-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.10.021
- K. Young, T. Ouchi, J. Nei, L. Wang, Annealing effects on Laves phase-related body-centered-cubic solid solution metal hydride alloys, J. Alloys and Compounds 654: 2016, p. 216-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2015.09.010
- S. W. Cho, C. S. Han, C. N. Park, E. Akiba, Hydrogen storage characteristics of Ti–Zr–Cr–V alloys, J. Alloys and Compounds, 289, No. 1–2: 1999, p. 244-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8388(99)00162-0
- X. B. Yu, Z. Wu, B. J. Xia, N. X. Xu, Enhancement of hydrogen storage capacity of Ti–V–Cr–Mn BCC phase alloys, J. Alloys and Compounds, 372, No. 1–2: 2004, p. 272-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2003.09.153
- T. B. Zhang, Y. L. Zhang, J. S. Li, H. Kou, R. Hu, X. Y. Xue, Microstructure and hydrogenation properties of a melt-spun nonstoichiometric Zr-based Laves phase alloy, Materials Characterization 111: 2016, p. 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2015.11.011
- Yu. A. Kocherzinsky, Experimental industrial samples of equipment for physico-chemical analysis at high temperatures. Instruments for the study of physical properties of materials, Kiev: Sciences. Opinion, 1974, p. 134-141 (in Russian).
- G. F. Kobzenko, A. A. Shkola, Reactor for the studying of metal-gas reaction Materials diagnostics, 56: 1990 p. 41-45 (in Russian).
- O. M. Ivasishin, V. T. Cherepin, V. N. Kolesnik, M. M. Gumenyuk, Automated dilatometric complex, Instrumentation and Experimental Technique, 3: 2010 p.147-151
- V. G. Ivanchenko, V. А. Dekhtyarenko, T. V. Pryadko, Hydrogen Sorption Properties of Ti0.475Zr0.3Mn0.225 Eutectic Alloy Alloyed with 2 at.% and 5 at.% of Vanadium, Меtallofiz. Noveishie Tekhnol., 37, No 4: 2015 p.521-530. https://doi.org/10.15407/mfint.37.04.0521
- V. G. Ivanchenko, V. А. Dekhtyarenko, T. V. Pryadko, Sorption properties of heterophase alloys β(Ti,Zr,Mn)+(Ti,Zr)Mn2−x, Меtallofiz. Noveishie Tekhnol., 33, spets. vyp.: 2011 p. 479-484 (in Russian).