The sol-gel process is a well-known and reliable process for obtaining materials and coatings of different structure and properties. An important feature of this method is the choice of starting precursors to obtain the desired compositions. The complexity of the technology is due to the difficult process control. For this purpose it is necessary to accurately calculate the stoichiometry to obtain the final phase. Thus, the sol-gel technology is widely used as in the production of coatings by immersion and spraying, aerogels and others. However, there are many other applications such as electronic materials that have not yet been well studied. In this study, after a brief explanation of the process, some of the most important applications are considered.
- P. Vincenzini, ―High Performance Ceramic Films and Coatings‖, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1991.
- A. P. Periyasamy, M. Venkataraman, D. Kremenakova, Jiri Militky and Yan Zhou, ―Progress in Sol-Gel Technology for the Coatings of Fabrics‖, Review, Materials 2020, 13, 1838; doi:10.3390/ma13081838, pp. 1-34.
- A. Inayat, B. Reinhardt, J. Herwig, C. Küster, H. Uhlig, S. Krenkel, E. Raedlein, D. Enke, ―Recent advances in the synthesis of hierarchically porous silica materials on the basis of porous glasses‖. New J. Chem. 2016, 40, pp. 4095–4114.
- Feinle, A., Elsaesser, M.S., Hüsing, N. Sol-gel synthesis of monolithic materials with hierarchical porosity. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2016, 45, pp. 3377–3399.
- H. K. Kim, S.-J. Kang, S.-K. Choi, Y.-H. Min, C.-S. Yoon, ―Highly Efficient Organic/Inorganic Hybrid Nonlinear Optic Materials via Sol-Gel Process: Synthesis, Optical Properties, and Photobleaching for Channel Waveguides‖, Chem. Mater. 1999, 11, pp. 779–788.
- G. Kordas, ―Sol-gel processing of ceramic superconductors‖, J. Non.-Cryst. Solids 1990, 121, pp. 436–442.
- G.J. Owens, R. K. Singh, F. Foroutan, M. Alqaysi, C.-M. Han, C. Mahapatra, H.-W. Kim, J.C. Knowles, ―Sol-gel based materials for biomedical applications‖, Prog. Mater. Sci., 2016, 77, pp. 1–79.
- D. Avnir, S. Braun, O. Lev, M. Ottolenghi, ―Enzymes and Other Proteins Entrapped in Sol-Gel Materials‖, Chem. Mater., 1994, 6, pp. 1605–1614
- Adelkhani, Hadi, Mellatnavaz, Bahram; Roohi, Hossein; Noorbakhsh, Mansoor, ―New Sol-Gel Solution with 45 Days Stability for Preparation Silica Thin Films‖, Iran. J. Chem. Chem. Eng., Vol. 26, No.3, 2007, pp. 25-29.
- J. Livage, C. Sanchez, M. Henry, S. Doeuff, ―The chemistry of the sol-gel process‖, Solid State lonics 32/33 (1989), pp. 633-638.
- Wan Norfazilah Wan Ismail, ―Sol–gel technology for innovative fabric finishing—A Review‖‖, Review paper: sol-gel and hybrid materials with surface modification for applications, J Sol-Gel Sci Technol (2016) 78, pp. 698–707.
- S. Esposito, ―Traditional‖ Sol-Gel Chemistry as a Powerful Tool for the Preparation of Supported Metal and Metal Oxide Catalysts‖, Review, Materials 2019, 12, 668; doi:10.3390/ma12040668, pp.1-25.
- M. J. Lam, D. C. Cameron, Surface Coating Tec., 142-144, 776, 2001.
- S. Kathirvelu, L. D’Souza, B. Dhurai, Indian J Fiber Text Res 34, 2009, pp. 267–273.
- S. Sakka, K. Kamiya, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 48, 1982, 31.
- H. Dislich, P. Hinz, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 48, 1982, 11.
- A. C. Pierre, ―Gelation. In Introduction to Sol-Gel Processing‖, Pierre, A. C., Ed.; Springer: Boston, MA, USA, 1998; pp. 169–204.
- L. L. Hench, J. K. West, ―The Sol-Gel Process‖, Chem. Rev., 1990.
- C. J. Brinker, G. W. Scherer, ―Sol-Gel Science‖, Academic Press, New York, 1990.
- S. I. Yordanov, A. D. Bachvarova-Nedelcheva, R. S. Iordanova, I. D. Stambolova, ―Sol-gel Synthesis and Properties of Sm Modified TiO2 Nanopowders‖, Bulgarian Chemical Communications 50, 2018, pp. 42-48.
- A. Bachvarova-Nedelcheva, S. Yordanov, R. Iordanova, I. Stambolova, ―Comparative Study of Sol-Gel Derived Pure and Nd-doped TiO2 Nanopowders‖, Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy 53(6), 2018, pp. 1167-1172.
- A. Chládová, J. Wiener, J. Mavela Luthuli, V. Zajícová, ―Dyeing of glass fibres by the sol gel method‖ autex Research Journal, (2011),11, pp18-23.
- M. Leskela et al., J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A., vol.7, pp. 3147-3171, 1989.
- L. Majsela, R. Glenga, ―Thehnology of thin films‖, Proceeding,. Acta Crystallographica Section A, 1976, 32, 751-767.
- S. K. Reaney, C. Begg, S. J. Bungard, J. R. Guest, J. Gen.Microbiol.1993, 139, 1523-1530.
- K. H. Suchomel, D. K Kreamer, A. Long, Environmentalscience&technology.1990, 24, 1824-1831.
- M. Cernea, O. Monnereau, P. Llewellyn, L. Tortet, ―Sol–gel synthesis and characterization of Ce doped-BaTiO3‖, Carmen Galassi ;Journal of the European Ceramic Society 26 (2006) 3241– 3246.
- S. Fromille, J. Phillips, ―Super Dielectric Materials‖, Materials, 2014, 7, 8197-8212