The evolution of phase composition and mechanical properties and the formation of oxide layers on Fe40–xNiCoCrAlx (x = 5 and 10 at.%) alloys in long-term oxidation at 900 and 1000 °C were studied. In the initial cast state, depending on the aluminum content and valence electron concentration, the alloys contain only an fcc solid solution (VEC = 8 e/a) or a mixture of fcc and bcc phases (VEC = 7.75 e/a). Thin continuous oxide scales containing Cr2O3 and NiCr2O4 spinel formed on the surface of both alloys oxidized at 900°C for 50 h. A further increase in the annealing time to 100 h leads to the formation of aluminum oxide Al2O3 in the scale on the Fe30Ni25Co15Cr20Al10 alloy, having high protective properties. An increase in the oxidation temperature to 1000°C results in partial failure of the protective layer on the
alloy with 10 at.% Al. Long-term holding at 900°C (100 h) + 1000°C (50 h) does not change the phase composition of the Fe35Ni25Co15Cr20Al5 alloy matrix, being indicative of its high thermal stability. In the two-phase Fe30Ni25Co15Cr20Al10 alloy, the quantitative ratio of solid solutions sharply changes: the amount of the bcc phase increases from 4 to 54 wt.% and its B2-type ordering is observed. The mechanical characteristics of the starting alloys and those after long-term high-temperature annealing were determined by automated indentation. It is shown how the hardness (HIT) and the elastic modulus (E) of alloys change after oxidation, depending on the Al content.
- J.W. Yeh, S.K. Chen, S.J. Lin, J.Y. Gan, T.S. Chin, T.T. Shun, C.H. Tsau, and S.Y. Chang, ―Nanostructured high-entropy alloys with multiple principal elements: novel alloy design concepts and outcomes,‖ Adv. Eng. Mater., 6, 299–303 (2004).
- G.U. Sheng and C.T. Liu, ―Phase stability in high-entropy alloys: formation of solid-solution phase or amorphous phase,‖ Prog. Nat. Sci. Mater. Int., No. 6, 433–446 (2011).
- M.C. Gao and D.E. Alman, ―Searching for next s ingle-phase high-entropy alloy compositions,‖ Entropy, No. 10, 4504– 4519 (2013).
- S.A. Firstov, V.F. Gorban, N.A. Krapivka, and E.P. Pechkovskii, ―New class of materials—high-entropy alloys and coatings,‖ Vestn. Tomsk. Gos. Univ., 18, Issue 4, 1938–1940 (2013).
- S.A. Firstov, T.G. Rogul, N.A. Krapivka, S.S. Ponomarev, V.V. Kovylyaev, N.I. Danilenko, N.D. Bega, V.I. Danilenko, and S.I. Chugunova, ―Structural features and solid-solution hardening of the high-entropy CrMnFeCoNi alloy,‖ Powder Metall. Met. Ceram., 55, No. 3–4, 225–235 (2016).
- S.A. Firstov, T.G. Rogul, N.A. Krapivka, S.S. Ponomarev, V.V. Kovylyaev, N.D. Rudyk, M.V. Karpets, and A.N. Mys lyvchenko, ―Effect of the crystallization rate on the structure, phase composition, and hardness of the high-entropy AlTiVCrNbMo allo y,‖ Deform. Razrush. Mater., No. 10, 8–15 (2013).
- F.J. Wang, Y. Zhang, and G.L. Chen, ―Cooling rate and size effect on the microstructure and mechanical properties of AlCoCrFeNi high-entropy alloy,‖ J. Eng. Mater. Technol., No. 3, 103–105 (2009).
- W.R. Wang, W.L. Wang, S.C. Wang, Y.C. Tsai, C.H. Lai, and J.W. Yeh, ―Effects of Al addition on the microstructure and mechanical property of AlxCoCrFeNi high-entropy alloys,‖ Intermetallics, 26, 44–51 (2012).
- T.M. Butler and M.L. Weaver, ―Influence of annealing on the microstructures and oxidation behaviors of Al8(CoCrFeNi)92, Al15(CoCrFeNi)85, and Al30(CoCrFeNi)70 high-entropy alloys,‖ Metals, 6, No. 9, 222– 233 (2016).
- Kai Wu, C.C. Li, F.P. Cheng, K.P. Chu, R.T. Huang, L.W. Tsay, and J.J. Kai, ―Air-oxidation of FeCoNiCr- based quinary high-entropy alloys at 700– – 125 (2017).
- T.M. Butler and M.L. Weaver, ―Oxidation behavior of arc-melted AlCrFeCoNi multi-component high- entropy alloys,‖ J. Alloys Compd., 674, 229–244 (2016).
- G.R. Holcomb, J. Tylczak, and C. Carney, ―Oxidation of CoCrFeMnNi high-entropy alloys,‖ J. Met. Mater. Miner., 67, No. 10, 2326–2339 (2015).
- Y.-K. Kim, Y.-A. Joo, H.S. Kim, and K.-A. Lee, ―High-temperature oxidation behavior of Cr–Mn–Fe–Co– Ni high-entropy
- M.V. Karpets, V.F. Gorban, O.A. Rokitska, M.O. Krap ivka, O.S. Makarenko, and A.V. Samelyuk, ―Features of high-temperature oxidation of high-entropy AlCrFe3CoNiCu alloy,‖ Powder Metall. Met. Ceram., 57, No. 3–4, 221–228 (2018).
- T.M. Butler and M.L. Weaver, ―Investigation of the phase stabilities in AlNiCoCrFe high-entropy alloys,‖ J. Alloys Compd., 691, 119–129 (2017).
- S.A. Firstov, V.F. Gorban, M.V. Karpets, and E.P. Pechkovskii, ―Effect of electron density on phase composition of high-entropy equiatomic alloys,‖ Powder Metall. Met. Ceram., 54, No. 9–10, 607–613 (2016).
- C.M. Lin and H.L. Tsai, ―Evolution of microstructure, hardness, and corrosion properties of high-entropy Al0.5CoCrFeNi alloy,‖ Intermetallics, 19, No. 3, 288–294 (2011).
- Y.F. Kao, S.K. Chen, and T.J. Chen, ―Electrical, magnetic, and hall properties of AlxCoCrFeNi high- entropy alloys,‖ J. Alloys Compd., 509, 1607–1614 (2011).
- W.R. Wang, W.L. Wang, and J.W. Yeh, ―Phases, microstructure and mechanical properties of AlxCoCrFeNi high-entropy alloys at elevated temperatures,‖ J. Alloys Compd., 589, 143–152 (2014).