Kinetics and phase transformations during decomposition of the supersaturated Mg solid solution in the Mg-Dy-Sm alloys at different Dy/Sm content ratios were investigated in this work. The solid solution decomposition occurs upon aging at a temperature of 200°C, at which strengthening of the alloys was expected to be highest. With increasing Dy/Sm ratio, the solid solution decomposition gradually decelerates. Addition of Dy to the Mg-Sm alloys intnsifies the age hardening, and the addition of Sm to the Mg-Dy alloys also promotes the hardening. The Mg solid solution decomposition in the ternary Mg-Dy-Sm alloys is accompanied by the formation of the GPzones, ordering, and the precipitation of plate-like particles in certain planes of the Mg crystal lattice. Such processes are typical of solid solution decomposition in the binary Mg-Re (Nd, Sm, Y, Gd, Tb, Dy) alloys.
- L. Mordike, T. Ebert, Magnesium: properties-applications-potential, Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 302 (2001) 37-45.
- Jain Chao-chi, Koo Chun-hao, Creep and corrosion properties of the extruded magnesium alloy containing rare earth, Mater. Trans. 48 (2007) 265-272.
- Z. Yang, J.P. Li, J.X. Zhang, G.W. Lorimer, J. Robson, Review on research and development of magnesium alloys, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.). 21 (2008) 313-328.
- L.L. Rokhlin, Magnesium alloys containing rare earth metals. London and New York, Taylor & Francis, (2003).
- Zhu S., Easton M.A., Abott T.B., Nie J-F., Dargusch M.S., Hort N., Gibson M.A, Evaluation of Magnesium Die-Casting for Elevated Temperature Applications: Microstructure, Tensile Properties, and Creep Resistance, Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 46 (2015) 3543-3554.
- E.A. Lukyanova, L.L.Rokhlin, T.V.Dobatkina, I.G.Korolkova, I.E.Tarytina, Investigation of the Mg-rich part of the Mg-Dy-Sm phase diagram,J. Phase Equilib. Diff. 37 (2016) 664-671.
- L.L. Rokhlin. Investigation of the supersaturated solid solution decomposition in the alloys of magnesium with dysprosium, Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 55 (1983) 733-738 (in Russian).
- J.-F. Nie, Precipitation and Hardening in Magnesium Alloys, Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 43 (2012) 3891-3939.