Investigation of the mg supersaturated solid solution decomposition in the Mg-Dy-Sm alloys
- 1 Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences. A.A. Baikov Institute of Metallurgy and Material Science RAS, Russia
Kinetics and phase transformations during decomposition of the supersaturated Mg solid solution in the Mg-Dy-Sm alloys at different Dy/Sm content ratios were investigated in this work. The solid solution decomposition occurs upon aging at a temperature of 200°C, at which strengthening of the alloys was expected to be highest. With increasing Dy/Sm ratio, the solid solution decomposition gradually decelerates. Addition of Dy to the Mg-Sm alloys intnsifies the age hardening, and the addition of Sm to the Mg-Dy alloys also promotes the hardening. The Mg solid solution decomposition in the ternary Mg-Dy-Sm alloys is accompanied by the formation of the GPzones, ordering, and the precipitation of plate-like particles in certain planes of the Mg crystal lattice. Such processes are typical of solid solution decomposition in the binary Mg-Re (Nd, Sm, Y, Gd, Tb, Dy) alloys.
- L. Mordike, T. Ebert, Magnesium: properties-applications-potential, Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 302 (2001) 37-45.
- Jain Chao-chi, Koo Chun-hao, Creep and corrosion properties of the extruded magnesium alloy containing rare earth, Mater. Trans. 48 (2007) 265-272.
- Z. Yang, J.P. Li, J.X. Zhang, G.W. Lorimer, J. Robson, Review on research and development of magnesium alloys, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.). 21 (2008) 313-328.
- L.L. Rokhlin, Magnesium alloys containing rare earth metals. London and New York, Taylor & Francis, (2003).
- Zhu S., Easton M.A., Abott T.B., Nie J-F., Dargusch M.S., Hort N., Gibson M.A, Evaluation of Magnesium Die-Casting for Elevated Temperature Applications: Microstructure, Tensile Properties, and Creep Resistance, Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 46 (2015) 3543-3554.
- E.A. Lukyanova, L.L.Rokhlin, T.V.Dobatkina, I.G.Korolkova, I.E.Tarytina, Investigation of the Mg-rich part of the Mg-Dy-Sm phase diagram,J. Phase Equilib. Diff. 37 (2016) 664-671.
- L.L. Rokhlin. Investigation of the supersaturated solid solution decomposition in the alloys of magnesium with dysprosium, Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 55 (1983) 733-738 (in Russian).
- J.-F. Nie, Precipitation and Hardening in Magnesium Alloys, Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 43 (2012) 3891-3939.