Nanotechnology has grown in popularity due to the enormous potential for producing materials and products with diverse properties, allowing significant advancement of existing technology and the development of new innovative technologies. Nanomaterials behave differently at the nanoscale than their conventional counterparts, opening exciting new possibilities in a wide range of construction applications. Nonetheless, the lack of information on nanomaterials’ suitability, high costs, and health risks limits their use in construction and structural engineering. As a result, research must be conducted to provide accurate information and facts about the properties and performance of nanomaterials under various load conditions, as well as information on the advantages of using nanomaterials over other construction materials. This paper provides information on nanomaterial properties and how they affect structural materials’ microstructure and mechanical properties. It also demonstrates the benefits of using nanotechnology and suggests new possibilities.
- L. A. Kolahalam, I.V. K. Viswanath, B. S. Diwakar, B. Govindh, V. Reddy, Y.L.N. Murthy, Review on nanomaterials: Synthesis and applications, in: Materials Today: Proceedings, Vol. 18, 6, 2182-2190 (2019)
- A. Bratovcic, Different Applications of Nanomaterials and Their Impact on the Environment, SSRG International Journal of Material Science and Engineering, Vol. 5, 1, 1-7, (2019)
- A.Srivastava, K. Singh, Nanotechnology in civil engineering and construction: a review on the state of the art and future prospects, Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference, 1(024), 1077-1080, (2011)
- F.Trotta, A.Mele, Nanosponges: Synthesis and applications, Chapter 1 Nanomaterials: Classification and properties, 1- 26, (2019)
- K. RB Singh, P. R. Solanki, B.D. Malhotra, A. C. Pandey, R. P. Singh, “Introduction to Nanomaterials: An Overview toward Broad- Spectrum Applications”, In: Nanomaterials in Bionanotechnology: Fundamentals and Applications, Chapter: 1, Publisher: CRC Press (2021)
- M.N.O. Sadiku, Y.P. Akhare, A. Ajayi-Majebi, S.M.Musa, Nanomaterials: A Primer, IJASRE, Vol. 7, 3, 1-6, (2021)
- M. Krystek, and M. Górski, "Nanomaterials in Structural Engineering", in New Uses of Micro and Nanomaterials, London, United Kingdom: IntechOpen, (2018) [Online].
- H.V. Tien, G. Ngoc Ha, V. P. Phuong Trang, V. Bao Khanh, Nanomaterials in construction: an overview, Tạp chí Khoa học công nghệ và Thực phẩm 15 (1), 34-45, (2018)
- W. Zhu, P.J.M. Bartos and A. Porro, Application of nanotechnology in construction: Summary of a state-of-the-art report, Materials and Structures / Matériaux et Constructions, Vol. 37, 649-658, (2004)
- M. Daniyal, A. Azam and Sabih Akhtar, Application of Nanomaterials in Civil Engineering, Chapter 6, 169-189 (2018)
- S. Suresh, Semiconductor Nanomaterials, Methods, and Applications: A Review, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 3(3), 62-74, (2013)
- A. A. Firoozi, M. R. Taha, Ali Asghar Firoozi, Nanotechnology in Civil Engineering, EJGE, Vol. 19 4674 -4682 (2014)
- A. Mohajerani, L. Burnett, J. V. Smith, H. Kurmus, J. Milas, A. Arulrajah, S. Horpibulsuk and A. A. Kadir, Nanoparticles in Construction Materials and Other Applications, and Implications of Nanoparticle Use, Materials 12, 3052 (2019)
- A.A.Ali, Nanotechnology in Civil Engineering Construction, International Journal of Structural and Civil Engineering Research, Vol. 9, No. 1 (2020)