This work discusses the properties of 3D titanium alloys with wear-resistant coatings of hard alloy electrodes based on WC-TiB2-B4C and solder mass of Co-Ni-Cr-B-Fe-Si-C, produced by reaction electrospark processing (RESP) at positive and negative polarity. Through profilometric, metallographic, XRD, SEM, EDS and tribological methods, the complex influence of polarity and pulse energy on the topography, composition, properties, and wear characteristics of the coated surfaces was investigated. The differences in the coatings obtained with the two polarities were identified. Coatings with similar roughness and thickness were obtained, which can be changed by changing the modes for RESP within the limits Ra =2.5÷5μm, δ= 8÷40μm, with microhardness 8 to 14 GPa and 2-4 times higher wear resistance than that of the substrate. At RESP with negative polarity and pulse energy up to 0.04 J, the coatings have comparable characteristics and properties to those at positive polarity, but lower roughness, finer structure and lower coefficient of friction. These coatings can be successfully used to reduce roughness and surface defects and improve the wear resistance of 3D titanium alloys. The pulse energy and polarity of RESР, producing coatings with minimum roughness and maximum wear resistance, have been determined.
- Zhengchuan, Zh., Liu Guanjun, Ie. Konoplianchenko, V. B. Tarelnyk. A review of the electro-spark deposition technology.- Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University. The series: Mechanization and Automation of Production Processes Home /Archives/, no. 2, 2021, 45-53.
- Kudryashov, A., E.,Eremeeva, Zh.V.,Levashov, E. A., Lopatin et al., On Application of Carbon-Containing Electrode Materials in Technology of Electrospark Alloying: Part 1. Peculiarities of Coating Formation Using Electrospark Treatment of Titanium Alloy OT4-1- Surf. Engin. Appl.Electrochem., vol. 54, №5, 2018, 437– 445.
- Mikhailov, V.V., E.A.Pasinkovsky, K.A. Bachu, P.V. Peretyatku. On the issue of electrospark alloying of titanium and its alloys, Surface engineering and applied electrochemistry,vol. 42 issue 3, 2006, 106-111.
- Penyashki, T., V. Kamburov, G. Kostadinov et al., Possibilities and Prospects for Improving the Tribological Properties of Titanium and Its Alloys by Electrospark Deposition.- Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 58, no 2, 2022, 135-146, DOI: 10.3103/S1068375522020090.
- Mikhailov, V.V, A.E. Gitlevich, A.D. Verkhoturov et al., Electrospark alloying of titanium and its alloys, physical and technological aspects and the possibility of practical use. Short review.- Surface engineering and applied electrochemistry, vol. 49, no 5, 2013, 21–44.
- Mukanov, S.K., A.E. Kudryashov, M.I. Petrzhik. Surface modification of titanium VT6 alloy obtained by additive technologies using reactive electrospark treatment, Physics and chemistry of material processing, no 3, 2021, 30-39.
- Penyashki, T.G., Kostadinov, G.D., Dimitrova, R.B. et al. Improving Surface Properties of Titanium Alloys by Electrospark Deposition with Low Pulse Energy. Surf. Engin. Appl. Electrochem., vol. 58, No 6, 2022, 580–593.
- Milligan, J., M. Heard, DW., Brochu. Formation of nanostructured weldments in the Al-Si system using electrospark welding, Applied surface science, vol. 256, no. 12, 2010, 4009–4016.
- Velichko, S.A., S.N. Sharifullin, I.S. Kuznetsov, A.V. Kolomeichenko et al. Evaluation of the wear resistance and resource hardened by electrospark machining of the cutting surfaces of the fingers of the headers of combine harvesters in IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 915 (2020) 012045, IOP Publishing doi:10.1088/1757-899X/915/1/012045
- Syanov, S.Yu. Connection of electro-physical working parameters with surface quality, tool wear and process productivity, Bulletin of Bryansk State Technical University,vol 1, no17, 2008, 14-19. (In Russian)
- Kumar, Rajneesh, Om Prakash Sahani, Meghanshu Vashista. Effect of EDM Process Parameters on Tool Wear, Journal of Basic and Applied Engineering Research, vol. 1, no 2, 2014, 53-56, © Krishi Sanskriti Publications, http://www.krishisanskriti.org/jbaer.html
- Khan Dilshad Ahmad, M. Hameedullah. Effect of tool polarity on the machining characteristics in electric discharge machining of silver steel andstatistical modeling of the process.- International Journal ofEngineering Science and Technology, vol. 3, no 6, 2011, 5001-5010.
- Pradhan, B.B., B., Bhattacharyya. Improvement in microholemachining accuracy by polarity changing technique for microelectrode discharge machining on Ti--6Al-4V in Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture’ 2008, 222: 163. DOI:10.1243/09544054JEM959.
- Levashov, E.A., A.E. Kudryashov, Yu.S. Pogozhev et al. Specific Features of Formation of Nanostructured Electrospark Protective Coatings on the OT4-1 Titanium Alloy with the Use of Electrode Materials of the TiC–Ti3AlC2 System Disperse- Strengthened by Nanoparticles.- Russian Journal of Non-Ferrous Metals, vol. 48, No. 5, 2007, 362–372.
- Xiang Hong, Yefa Tan, Chunhua Zhou et al. Microstructure and tribological properties of Zr-based amorphous-nanocrystalline coatings deposited on the surface of titanium alloys by Electrospark Deposition, Applied Surface Science, vol. 356, 2015, 1244–1251.
- Mihailov, V., N. Kazak, S. Ivashcu, E. Ovchinnikov et al. Synthesis of Multicomponent Coatings by Electrospark Alloying with Powder Materials, Coatings, vol. 13, no 3, 2023, 651; https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings13030651.
- Kostadinov, G., T. Penyashki, M. I. Petrzhik et al. Obliteration of surface defects in 3d printing of metals by reactive electro spark surface modification, International scientific journal INDUSTRY 4.0, issue 4 / 2022, 126-130.
- Jaber, S., Razavi Arab, Hossein Aghajani. Wear Behavior of Pure Titanium Coated With WC-Co by the Use of Electrospark Deposition Method, J. Tribology, vol. 141, No 5: 051605, 2019 (7 pages) .
- Zamulaeva, E.I., E.A. Levashov et al. Carbon-containing and nanostructured WC - Co electrodes for electrospark modification of the surface of titanium alloys, Metal technology, no. 11,2008, 24–31.
- Nikolenko, V., A.D. Verkhoturov, N.A., Syui. Generation and study of new electrode materials with self-fluxing additives to improve the efficiency of mechanical electrospark alloying. Surf. Engin. Appl. Electrochem., vol. 51, no. 1, 2015, 38–45.
- Kováčik, J., P. Baksa, Š. Emmer. Electro spark deposition of TiB2 layers on Ti6Al4V alloy.- Acta Metallurgica Slovaca, vol. 22, no. 1, 2016, 52-59.
- Penyashki, T.G., D.D. Radev, M.K. Kandeva, G. Kostadinov. Structural and Tribological Properties of Multicomponent Coatings on 45 and 210Cr12 Steels Obtained by Electrospark Deposition with WC-B4C-TiB2–Ni-Cr-Co-B-Si Electrodes, Surf. Engin. Appl. Electrochem., ,vol. 55, no. 6, 2019, 638-650.
- Zdravecká, E., M. Ondáč, J. Tkáčová. Tribological Behavior of Thermally Sprayed Coatings with Different Chemical Composition and Modified by Remelting, Tribology in Industry, vol. 41, no. 4, 2019, 463-470.
- Vencl, А., M. Mrdak, P. Hvizdos. Tribological Properties of WC-Co/NiCrBSi and Mo/NiCrBSi Plasma Spray Coatings under Boundary Lubrication Conditions, tribology in industry, vol. 39, No 2, 2017, 183–191.
- Kostadinov, G., T. Penyashki, A. Nikolov,et al. Geometric characteristics, composition and structure of coatings of WC-TIB2- B4C- NI-CR-B-SI-C electrodes formed on 3D printing titanium and steels by contactless electrospark deposition, Journal of International Scientific Publications, Materials, Methods & Technologies, vol. 16, 2022, 160-172.
- Tarelnyk, V., A. V. Paustovskii,Yu. G. Tkachenko et al. Electrode Materials for Composite and Multilayer Electrospark- Deposited Coatings from Ni–Cr and WC–Co Alloys and Metals. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, vol. 55, no 9-10, 2017, 585–595 DOI: 10.1007/s11106-017-9843-2.
- Trotsky, M., S. Petrovich, V. Andreeva, A. Popovich et al. Synthesis of ceramics titanium compounds by mechanical alloying of TIB2-TIN systems, St.Petersburg, Russia, in Proceedings 30th Anniversary International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials,Metal, May 26-28, 2021, Brno, Czech Republic, 824-828, doi.org/10.37904/metal.2021.4204.
- Basu B., G. B. Raju, A. K. Suri. in Processing and properties of monolithic TiB2 based materials, International Materials Reviews, vol. 51, no 6, 2006, 352-374, DOI: 10.1179/174328006X102529