Effect of dynamical aging in SLM Ti-6Al-4V alloys
- 1 Institute of Metal Physics, Ekaterinburg, Russia
- 2 Regional Engineering Center of laser and additive technology, Ekaterinburg, Russia
The application of the selective laser melting (SLM) method requires knowledge of not only the properties of the material after manufacturing, but also after mechanical loading. The aim of this work is to investigate the strain-rate dependence and microstructure of Ti6Al4V samples manufactured by SLM method with different angles to the building platform. SLM Ti-6Al-4V samples were manufactured using the EOSINT M280 (EOS GmbH) at angles of 0°, 30°, 45°, 90° to the building platform. A medicine Ti6Al4V (ASTM grade 23) powder was used for the study. Tensile tests were performed with an Instron test machine using two strain rates 0.5 mm/min and 2 mm/min at room temperature. It was found the strain-rate dependence in the studied samples. The features of the mechanisms of hardening and softening in an investigated SLM Ti-6Al-V alloy are discussed.
- Zh.P. Pastukhova, A.G. Rakhshtadt, Yu.A. Kaplun, Dynamic aging of alloys. Moscow: Metallurgy. (1985).
- A. Yilmaz, The Portevin–Le Chatelier effect: a review of experimental findings, Sci Technol Adv Mater. 12(6) (2011) 063001.
- Sang-hyun Cho, Yeon-chuL Yoo, J. J. Jonas. Static and dynamic strain aging in 304 austenitic stainless steel at elevated temperatures, Journal of materials science letters. 19 (2000) 2019–2022.
- L. Ladani1, J. Razmi and S. Farhan, Choudhury Mechanical Anisotropy and Strain Rate Dependency Behavior of Ti6Al4V Produced Using E-Beam Additive Fabrication. J. Eng. Mater. Technol. 136(3), (2014) 031006.
- T.H. Becker, M. Beck, and C. Scheffer, Microstructure and mechanical properties of direct metal laser sintered Ti-6Al-4V. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering. 26(1) (2015) 1-10.
- A. Mertens, S. Reginster, H. Paydas, Q. Contrepois, T. Dormal, O. Lemaire, and J. Lecomte-Beckers, Mechanical properties of alloy Ti–6Al–4V and of stainless steel 316L processed by selective laser melting: Influence of out-of-equilibrium microstructures. Powder Metallurgy, 57(3) (2014) 184-189.
- P. Krakhmalev, G. Fredricsson, I.Yadroitseva, N. Kazantseva, A. Du Plessis, I.Yadroitsev, Deformation Behavior and Microstructure of Ti6Al4V Manufactured by SLM, Physics Procedia, 83 (2016) 778 – 788.
- M.G. Moletsane, P. Krakhmalev, N. Kazantseva, A. Du Plessis, I. Yadroitsava & I. Yadroitsev Tensile properties and microstructure of direct metal lasersintered TI6AL4V (ELI) alloy, South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 27(3) Special Edition (2016) 110-121.