Evaluation of the residual stresses in advanced composite ceramic coatings using x-ray diffraction techniques
- 1 Faculty of Engineering , Diyala University , Diyala- Baqouba – Iraq
X-Rays diffraction method were used to determine the residual stresses and local phase composition through the thickness of as-sprayed by flame-sprayed thermal barrier coatings consisting of a NiAl bond coat and composite ceramic coatings (Al2O3 –22wt% ZrSiO4) topcoat produced. The as-sprayed residual stresses reflected the combined influence of quenching stresses from the flame spray process, thermal expansion mismatch between the topcoat, bond coat and substrate, and stress relief from the segmentation cracks. The thickness of bond coating was (150ϻm) and for composite ceramic coating was (450 ϻm). The residual stresses evaluated by X-Ray diffraction technique were maximum tensile residual stresses (15.626) Mpa.
- T.C. Totemeier, J.K. Wright '' Residual stress determination in thermally sprayed coatings—a comparison of curvature models and X-ray techniques'' Surface & Coatings Technology 200 (2006) 3955 – 3962.
- Shubham Barnwal1, B.C. Bissa2 '' Thermal Barrier Coating System and Different Processes to apply them- A Review'' International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, Issue 9, September 2015.
- J. Matejicek, S. Sampath, J. Dubsky, in: C.C. Berndt (Ed.), Thermal Spray: A United Forum for Scientific and Technological Advances, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1997, p. 855.
- S. Kuroda, Y. Tashiro, H. Yumoto, S. Taira, H. Fukanuma, S. Tobe, J.Therm. Spray Technol. 10 (2001) 367.
- O. Kesler a, J. Matejicek b, S. Sampath b, S. Suresh a, T. Gnaeupel-Herold c, P.C. Brand c, H.J. Prask c'' Measurement of residual stress in plasma-sprayed metallic, ceramic and composite coatings'' Materials Science and Engineering A257 (1998) 215–224.
- Dietrich Mum, Matthias A. Sckuhr, and Yingyuan Yang'' Thermal Stresses in Ceramic-Metal Joints with an interlayer'' J, Am. Ceram. Soc.,78 [21 285-90 (1995).
- S. R. BROWN, I. G. TURNER, H. REITER '' Residual stress measurement in thermal sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings'' JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE: MATERIALS IN M E D I C I N E 5(1994) 756-759.
- R. Ghafouri-Azar, J. Mostaghimi, S. Chandra ''Modeling development of residual stresses in thermal spray coatings'' Computational Materials Science 35 (2006) 13–26.
- C.U. Hardwicke, Y.C. Lau, Advances in thermal spray coatings for gas turbines and energy generation: a review, J. Therm. Spray Technol. 22 (5) (2013) 564–576.
- A.R. Krause, H.F. Garces, G. Dwivedi, A.L. Ortiz, S. Sampath, N.P. Padture, Calcia-magnesia-alumino-silicate (CMAS)-induced degradation and failure of air plasma sprayed yttria-stabilized zirconia thermal barrier coatings, Acta Mater. 105 (2016) 355-366.
- N.P. Padture, M. Gell, E.H. Jordan, Thermal barrier coatings for gas-turbine engine applications, Sci. 296 (2002) 280-284.
- A.G. Evans, D.R. Mumm, J.W. Hutchinson, G.H. Meier, F.S. Pettit, Mechanisms controlling the durability of thermal barrier coatings, Prog. Mater. Sci. 46 (2001) 505–553.
- C.R.C. Lima a, b, S. Dosta c, J.M. Guilemany c, D.R. Clarke b, The application of photoluminescence piezo spectroscopy for residual stresses measurement in thermally sprayed TBCs, Surface & Coatings Technology, 2016, SCT-21414.
- W. Fan, Y. Bai, Review of Suspension and Solution Precursor Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings, Ceramics International, 10 June 2016.
- J. Stokes and L. Looney, Residual Stress in HVOF Thermally Sprayed Thick Deposits, Surf. Coat. Technol., 2004, 177-178, p 18-23.
- L. Pawlowski, The Science and Engineering of Thermal Spray Coatings, Wiley, New York, 2008.
- S. Sampath, X. Jiang, J. Matejicek, L. Prchlik, A. Kulkarni, and A. Vaidya, Role of Thermal Spray Processing Method on the Microstructure, Residual Stress and Properties of Coatings: An Integrated Study for Ni-5wt %Al Bond Coats, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2004, 364(1-2), p 216-231.
- W. Luo, U. Selvadurai, and W. Tillmann, Effect of Residual Stress on the Wear Resistance of Thermal Spray Coatings, Submitted April 1, 2015; in revised form September 2, 2015.