Bulgaria has a variety of deposits (mainly in northeastern Bulgaria) of sedimentary rocks (marls) suitable for the development of compounding formulations and technology for the production of stone products. On the basis of some of these sedimentary rocks (marls), experimental technologies for innovative formulations with modifiers for usable petrurgical materials are developed and tested. The first prototypes of ballistic protection products are obtained, with physic-mechanical properties better than those when only natural sedimentary rock is used, and lighter and cheaper than in the case of corundum and silicon carbide.
The properties of these materials allow for certain alternative applications such as the ballistic protection of ground-based mobile and stationary objects. They also make possible the production of quality articles with protective properties against high-speed kinetic effects, but at significantly lower cost than when traditional materials are used.
- . F. Cline and M. L. Wilkins, “The Importance of Material Properties in Ceramic Armor”; pp. 13-18 in DCIC Report 69-1, Part I, Ceramic Armor, 1969.
- S. K. Chung, “Fracture Characterization of Armor Ceramics”, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 69 (3) 358-366 (1990).
- D. J. Viechnicki, M. J. Slavin and M. I. Kliman, “Development and Current Status of Armor Ceramics”, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 70  1035-39 (1991).
- E. Medvedovski, “Alumina Ceramics for Ballistic Protection”, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 81 (3) 27-32 (2002).
- E. Chistyakov, D. Kupryunin, and Gladyshev. "Ultra-short Anti-Brushed Steel",
- http://www.niistali.ru/upload/iblock/954/Optional% 20 variant.pdf.
- Lakov L., Encheva St., Tsonev P., Vasilev V., Zhivov B., Toncheva Kr., Technology for production, chemical and phase composition of new "yellow paving stones" obtained on the basis of sedimentary rocks, International Scientific Conference " Design and Construction of Buildings and Structures ”, 15 ÷ 17 September 2016, Varna, Bulgaria, pp. 115-120.
- Lakov L., Stoimenov N., Tsonev P., Vasilev V., Zhivov B., Toncheva Kr., Physicochemical, mechanical properties and tomographic analysis of new "yellow paving stones" from petro-material, Proceedings, International Scientific Conference "Design and construction of buildings and facilities ”, DCB 2016, September 15-17, 2016, Varna, Bulgaria, pp. 121-127.