Finite elements method modelling of rolling bearings
- 1 Yildiz Technical University, Science Institute, Yildiz, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2 Yildiz Technical University, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Yildiz, Istanbul, Turkey
This study presents to determine the contact stress in rolling bearings by using analytical and numerical method. Analytical solution is obtained by using Hertizan contact theory. Obtained analytical solution by this theory require comparison with the numerical calculations to obtain more accurate results for contact problems. Because of that the same problems are also examined by using finite element method. The geometry of the model being studied gives different type of contact configurations such as a point or line of contact. In cylindrical roller bearing the contact form is line contact and for the ball bearing the contact characteristic is point contact. High stress occurs on both of these two contact areas. Contact stress causes elastic or plastic deformation and the contact area will change depending on the magnitude of the contact stress. Therefore, it is really important to calculate more accurate stress at the contact area.
- FISCHER, Anthony C., Introduction to Contact Mechanics, 2nd ed. Springer,2007. ISBN: 978-0387-68187-0
- UGURAL, Ansel C., Mechanical Design of Machine Components, 2nd ed. CRC Press, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-4987-3536-0.
- NORTON, Robert C., Machine Design, an integrated approach,4th ed. Pearson,2011. ISBN: 978-0-471-74285-2.
- BOZCA M., “Theoretical Investigation of Point Contact for Ball Bearings Application”. ICMD’2006, 57thInternational Conference of Machine Design Departments, pp. 195-200. 6-9 September 2016, Zelezna Ruda, Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC.
- BOZCA M., “Theoretical Investigation of Line Contact for Roller Bearings Application”. ICMD’2006, 57thInternational Conference of Machine Design Departments, pp. 201-206. 6-9 September 2016, Zelezna Ruda, Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC.