Surface texturing on a cutting tool is a process which can provide reduction in friction, improved performance of a contact interface and a better tool life. In this paper, influence of surface texturing on tool wear of both textured and non-textured tools were compared. Different textures were applied on coated carbide tools by Femtosecond laser to enchance the wear resistance. Dry cutting experiments on AISI 4140 (32 HRC) were carried out with conventional cutting inserts having parallel and perpendicular textured sufaces to the cutting edge on the flank face. Finally, results showed that surface texturing of cuttting insert was found to be beneficial to the decrease of the flank wear.
- Ngoi B.K.A., P.S. Sreejith, Dry machining: machining of the future. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 101 (2000) 287- 291.
- Enomoto T., T. Sugihara, S. Yukinaga, K. Hirose, U. Satake, Highly wear-resistant cutting tools with textured surfaces in steel cutting. CIRP Annals – Manuf. Technology, 2012, 61(1): 571-574.
- Dengn J. X., Z. Wu, Y. S. Lian, T. Qi, J. Cheng, Performance of carbide tools with textured rake-face filled with solid lubricants in dry cutting processes. Int. J. of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 2012, 30(1): 164-172.
- Qi B.Y., L. Li, N. He, W. Zhao, Z. Wang, Experimental Study on Orthogonal Cutting of Ti6Al4V with Micro-textured Tool. Tribology. 2011, 31(4): 346-351.
- Lei S, S. Devarajan, Z. Chang, A study of micropool lubricated cutting tool in machining of mild steel. J. Mater. Process Technol. 2009;209:1612–20.
- Liu Y., J. Deng, F. Wu, R. Duan, X. Zhang, Y. Hou, Wear resistance of carbide tools with textured flank face in dry cutting of green alumina ceramics. Wear 372-373 (2017) 91–103.
- Rajbongshi S. K., M. A. Singh, D. K. Sarma, A comparative study in machining of AISI D2 steel using textured and nontextured coated carbide tool at the flank face. Journal of Manufacturing Processes 36 (2018) 360–372.
- Sugihara T, T. Enomoto, Crater and flank wear resistance of cutting tools having microtextured surfaces. Precision Engineering 37 (2013) 888– 896.
- Wu Z., J. Deng, J. Zhao, Study on tool life of surface textured tool in dry cutting of Ti-6Al-4V alloys. Advanced Materials Research Vols. 538-541 (2012) pp 1245-1249.
- Ze W., D. Jianxin, C. Yang, X. Youqiang, Z. Jun, Performance of the self-lubricating textured tools in dry cutting of Ti-6Al-4V. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. (2012) 62:943–951.
- Deng J., W. Ze, L. Yunsong, Q. Ting, C. Jie, Performance of carbide tools with textured rake-face filled with solid lubricants in dry cutting processes. Int. Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 30 (2012) 164–172.