The geopolymers are novel class of inorganic polymer materials consist of chains, sheets or networks made of covalently bonded mineral molecules. The main precursors of the geopolymers are reactive alumosilicate material and hardener solution. Various suitable raw materials are located in Bulgaria. The present paper shows successful examples of geopolymers based on Bulgarian raw materials – fly ash, metakaolin, natural zeolite and iron-rich waste from copper industry. The properties and structure of the prepared geopolymers greatly depend on the composition and type of the raw material, as well as concentration and type of the activator solution. The results show the potential of geopolymers based on Bulgarian raw materials as building materials.
- Davidovits, J., Geopolymer chemistry and applications, 2011.
- Provis, J.L. and J.S.J. Van Deventer, Geopolymers: structures, processing, properties and industrial applications, Elsevier, 2009.
- Davidovits, J., Chemistry of Geopolymeric Systems, Terminology, Proceedings of 99 International Conference. eds. Joseph Davidovits, R. Davidovits & C. James, France, 1999.
- Duxson, P., et al., Geopolymer technology: the current state of the art. Journal of materials science, 2007. 42(9): p. 2917-2933.
- A. Nikolov, R.T., N. Velinov, Z. Delcheva, B. Chen, Characterization of a novel acid-activated geopolymers based on fayalite slag from local copper industry, Sofia, Seventh National Crystallographic Symposium with International Participation. 2018, p. 54–61.
- Zgureva, D. and S. Boycheva. Comparative studies on the zeolitization of fly ash from different Bulgarian power plants TPP “AES Galabovo” and TPP “Maritza East 2”, Proceeding of XXth International Conference of Faculty of Power Machines and Power Engineering. 2015, p. 54–61.
- Nikolov, A. and B. Barbov, Lightweight geopolymer based on fly ash, Review of the Bulgarian Geological Society, 2018. 79(part 3), p. 23-24.
- Nikolov, A., Geopolymers based on natural zeolite for construction applications, composition, structure, properties 2016, Sofia ,University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy.
- Nikolov, A., I. Rostovsky, and H. Nugteren, Geopolymer materials based on natural zeolite. Case Studies in Construction Materials, 2017, 6, p. 198-205.
- Nikolov, A., I. Rostovsky, and H. Nugteren, Natural and calcined zeolite (metazeolite) based geopolymers. Peer reviewed short communications of the national conference with international participation, 2017, p. 31-32.