Influence of polymer molar mass on the properties membranes whit graphene oxide
- 1 Lodz University of Technology, Faculty of Process and Environmental Engineering, Poland
The aim of the study was to assess the influence of the polymer molar mass on the properties of polymeric membranes produced with the addition of carbon nanostructures (commercial graphene oxide, GO). The membrane support layer was made from polysulfone (PSU) dissolved in dimethylformamide (DMF). The polymer matrix was formed from polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) dissolved in dimethylacetamide (DMAC). PVDF, serving as the base polymer, was purchased in two different physical forms, i.e granules with a molar mass of 530,000 g/mol and powder with a molar mass of 534,000 g/mol. The membranes were prepared via wet phase inversion, with or without the addition of GO to volume of the polymer matrix. The experiments helped to determine the thickness, tensile strength and contact angle of the produced membranes. Hydrodynamic studies allowed calculating the volumetric permeation flux and total resistance of both the reference membranes and the membranes containing GO was evaluated using a laboratory OSMONICS KOCH ultrafiltration unit.
- Camacho L.M, L. Dumée, J. Zhang, J. Li, M. Duke, J. Gomez, S. Gray. Advances in Membrane Distillation for Water Desalination and Purification Applications, Water. 5 (2013), 94-196
- Yarlagadda S, L.M. Camacho, V.G. Gude, Z. Wei, S. Shuguang Deng. Membrane Distillation for Desalination and Other Separations, Recent Patents on Chemical Engineering. 2 (2009),128-158.
- Muller N.C., B. Burgen, V. Kueter, P. Luis, T. Melin, W. Pronk, R. Reseiwitz, D. Rickerby, G.M., Rios, W. Wennekes, B. Nowack B. Nanofiltration and nanostructured membranes - Should they be considered nanotechnology or not?, Journal of Hazardous Material, 211-212 (2012), 275-280.
- Sadeghi M., M.A. Semsarzadeh, H. Moadel, Enhancement of the gas separation properties of polybenzimidazole (PBI) membrane by incorporation of silica nano particles, Journal of Membrane Science, 331 (2009), 21–30.
- Hong J., Y. He. Effects of nano sized zinc oxide on the performance of PVDF microfiltration membranes, Desalination, 302 (2012), 71–79.
- Nicolai A., B.G. Sumpterb, V. Meuniera. Tunable water desalination across graphene oxide framework, Journal of Physical Chemistry, 16 (2014), 8646.
- Joshi R.K., P. Carbone, F.C. Wang, V.G. Krevets, Y.Su Y, I.V. Grigorieva, H.A. Wu, A.K. Geim, R.R. Nair. Precise and ultrafast molecular sieving trough graphene oxide membranes, Science, 343 (2014), 752-754.
- Sun P, M. Zhu, K. Wang, M. Zhong, J. Wei, D. Wu, Z. Xu, H. Zhu. Selective ion penetration of graphene oxide membranes, Nano, 22 (2013), 428-37.
- Blus M., E. Tomczak. Hydrodynamics of ultrafiltration polymer membranes with carbon nanotubes. Desalination and Water Treatment, 64 (2017), 298-301.
- Zhu Ch., H. Li, C.X. Zeng, E.G. Wang, S. Meng. Quantized water transport: Ideal desalination through graphene-4 membrane. Scientific Reports, 3 (2013), 3163.
- Jiang D.E., V.R. Cooper, S. Dai. Porous graphene as the ultimate membrane for gas separation. Nano Letters, 9 (2009), 4019–4024.
- Suk M.E., N. Aluru. Water transport through ultrathin graphene. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 1 (2010), 1590–1594.
- Hummers W.S., R E. Offeman. Preparation of graphitic oxide. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 80(6) (1958), 339.
- Dikin D.A., S. Stankovich, E.J. Zimney, R.D. Piner, G.H. Dommett, G. Evmenenko, S.T. Nguyen, R.S. Ruoff, Preparation and characterization of graphene oxide paper. Nature. 26, 448 (7152) (2007), 457–60.
- Erickson K., R. Erni, Z. Lee, N. Alen W., Gannett, A. Zeltt. Determination of the local chemical structure of graphene oxide and reduced graphene oxide. Advanced Materials, 22 (2010), 4467.
- You J.M., D. Kim, S.K. Kim, S.M. Kim, S.H. Han, S. Jeon. Novel determination of hydrogen peroxide by electrochemically reduced graphene oxide grafted with aminothiophenol–Pd nanoparticles. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 178 (2013), 450–457.
- Gao W., M. Majumder, L.B. Alemany, T.N. Narayanan, M.A. Ibarra, B.K. Pradhan, P.M. Ajayan. Engineered graphite oxide materials for application in water purification. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 3(6) (2011), 1821.
- Huang H., Y. Ying, X. Peng. Graphene oxide nanoseet: an emerging star material for novel separation membranes. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2 (2014), 13772–13782.
- Huang K., G. Liu, Y. Lou, Z. Dong, J. Shen, W. Jin. A graphene oxide membrane with highly selective molecular separation of aqueous organic solution. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 1, 53(27) (2014), 6929–-6932.
- Liu F., N.A. Hashim, Y.T. Liu, M.R.M. Abed, K. Li. Progress in the production and modification of PVDF membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 375 (2011), 1–27.
- Yi X.S., S.L. Yu, W.X. Shi, N. Sun, L.M. Jin, S. Wang, B. Zhang, C. Ma, L.P. Sun. The influence of important factors on ultrafiltration of oil/water emulsion using PVDFmembrane modified by nano-sized TiO2 /Al2O3 , Desalination, 281(2011), 179–184.
- Ganesh B.M., M.A. Isloor, A.F Ismail. Enhanced hydrophilicity and salt rejection study of graphene oxidepolysulfone mixed matrix membrane. Desalination, 313(2013), 199–207.
- Tomczak E., M. Blus. Preparation and permeability of PVDF membranes functionalized with graphene oxide, Desalination Water Treatment 128, (2018), 20-26.
- Tomczak E., M. Blus. Characteristics of polymeric ultrafiltration membranes produced with the use of graphene oxide, Ecolgical Chemistry & Engineering. S, 25(3), (2018), 419-429.