Two-layer diamond-hard alloy plate is the cutting element of the drill bit and consists of a layer of polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC) binded with the superhard alloy substrate (WC-Co).
In PDC cutter developed in FSBI TISNCM the plate of PDC, 2-3 mm thick and up to 18 mm in diameter, is bonded with a substrate of
WC-Co, forming the working element of the drill bit. PDC consists of a diamond frame with grains of 20-10 microns impregnated with a binder metal Co. The ratio of the diamond fraction and the binder metal, as well as the size of the diamond grains vary, depending on the specifications. The entire PDC cutter is manufactured using high pressure and high temperature technology. The surface of the PDC plate is ground and polished to the required values.
Full-scale tests of PDC cutters showed that their impact strength and wear resistance are determined by the quality of the contactlayer between the PDC and the substrate.
The paper presents the results of the study of the mechanical characteristics of PDC cutters, as well as the microstructure, element and phase composition and defects of the contact layer of PDC with substrate.
- Wentorf R., R. Devries, F. Bundy. Sintered Superhard Materials. Science 208, (1980), P.873.
- Besson A., B. Berr, Dillard et al., Oil and Gas Review. (Shlumberge, 2002), P. 4.
- Sergeichev K., Uspekhi Prikladnoi Fiziki. Diamond CVD coatings of cutting tools (review). 3, (2015), P.324.
- Zhan G., A. Patin, R. Pillai, et al., in Proc. IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, IADC. Global leadership. Global challenges, (2014, Castagna, FEI).
- Briggs G., O. Kolosov. Acoustic Microscopy. New York: Oxford University Press; 2010.
- Prokhorov V., G. Pivovarov. Detection of internal cracks and ultrasound characterization of nanostructured Bi2Te3- based thermoelectrics via acoustic microscopy. Ultrasonics. 51, (2011) P. 715.
- Prokhorov V., V. Blank, D. Ovsyannikov, M. Popov, V. Levin, E. Morokov. Mechanical properties of nanostructured B4C/C60 and c-BN/C60 composites prepared by HPHT method. Scientific Proceedings of the Scientific-Technical Union of Mechanical Engineering. Vol. 22/185, 2015, 44-47. XII International Congress « Machines, Technologies, Materials 2015», Sept. 16-19, 2015, Varna, Bulgaria
- Prokhorov V. , E. Morokov, D. Ovsyannikov. Optoacoustic and Acoustic Microscopy Studies of Microstructure, Elasticity and Defects in B4C/C60 and c-BN/C60 Nanocomposites. Journal of Siberian Federal University. Mathematics & Physics. 12(1), (2019) P.1.