Vehicle components made of rubber usually exhibit large deformations. Cyclic finite deformations generate temperature in hyperelastic materials. Furthermore it is necessary to take into consideration the effects of ambient temperature. The mechanical properties of rubber depend on temperature and temperature changes can accelerate chemical alteration processes which lead to the material deterioration and fatigue processes. Research on fatigue behavior and fatigue properties of rubber has a great significance for predicting fatigue life and improving durability of rubber products. First purpose of this paper is summarizing the influence of temperature and temperature changes on the fatigue behavior of rubber. The second purpose of this study is to provide an overview of the state of the art on the fatigue life prediction of rubber with primary focus on the different methods available for prediction of fatigue life under the influence of temperature and temperature changes.
- X. Duan et al., The mechanical fatigue limit for rubber. Journal of Automotive Engineering, 7, 2015, 942-954.
- W.V. Mars, Chapter 7-Heuristic approach for approximating energy release rates of small cracks under finite strain, multiaxial loading. Elastomers and components (2006), 91- 111.
- W. V. Mars and A. Fatemi, Nucleation and growth of small fatigue cracks in filled naturalrubber under multiaxial loading. Journal of Materials Science 41 (22 2006), 7324-7332.
- Lake Gj., Fatigue and fracture of elastomers. Rubber Chemistry and Technology, (1995), 61, 503-533.
- Lake Gj., Thomas Ag., Strength. In: Gent A, editor. Engineering with rubber, How to design rubber components. Munich: Carl Hanser Verlag, (1992), chapter 5.
- Lake Gj., Mechanical fatigue of rubber, Rubber Chemistry and Technology 1972, 45, 309-328.
- W.V.Mars, A.Fatemi, A literature survey on fatigue analysis approaches for rubber, International Journal of Fatigue 2002, 949-961.
- Wöhler A., Wöhler’s experiments on the strength of metals. Engineering 1867, 2-160.
- Cadwell SM., Merrill RA., Sloman Cm., Yost Fl., Dynamic fatigue life of rubber. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Analytical Edition 1940, 12-23.
- Mars WV., Fatemi A., Factors that affect the fatigue life of rubber: literature survey. Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 2004, Vol. 77, 391-412.
- Gent An., Lindley Pb., Thomas Ag., Cut growth and fatigue of rubbers. I. The relationship between cut growth and fatigue. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 1964, 455-466.
- Mars WV., Fatemi A., Multiaxial fatigue of rubber: Part I: equivalence criteria and theoretical aspects. Fatigue&Fracture of Engineering Materials&Structures 28, 2005, 515-522.
- Thomas Ag., Rupture of rubber. V. Cut growth in natural rubber vulcanizates., Journal of Polymer Science 1958, 31:467-480.
- Lake GJ., Lindley PB., The mechanical fatigue limit for rubber. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 1965, 9:1233-1251.