This paper deals with gearing of a novel design. Insensitivity to the gear axes misalignment is the principle feature of gearing of the proposed design. The discussion begins with a brief historical overview on design of geometrically-accurate gearing. Then, fundamentals of gearing that is insensitive to the axes displacements are discussed. Elements of kinematics, an actual configuration of the gear axes of rotation, and so forth are covered in this discussion. Analytical expressions for tooth flanks of a gear and a mating pinion for gearing of the proposed design are derived. Features of interaction of tooth flanks of a gear and a mating pinion are briefly discussed. The paper ends with the analysis of potential applications of “ Spr pr gearing”, and conclusion.
- Euler, L., “De Aptissima Figura Rotarum Dentibus Tribuenda” (“On Finding the Best Shape for Gear Teeth”), in: Academiae Scientiarum Imperiales Petropolitae, Novi Commentarii, 1754- 55, t. V, pp. 299-316. (E249 in Opera omnia II, 17, pages 119- 135).
- Euler L. “Supplementum. De Figura Dentium Rotarum”. Novi Commentarii adacemiae Petropolitanae 11, 1767, pp. 207- 231. (E330, Opera omnia, 17, pages 196-219).
- U.S. Pat. No. 407.437. Machine for Planing Gear Teeth./G.B. Grant, Filed: January 14, 1887 (serial No. 224,382), Patented: July 23, 1889.
- Radzevich, S.P., Theory of Gearing: Kinematics, Geometry, and Synthesis, 2nd Edition, revised and expanded, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2018, 934 pages. [1st Edition: Radzevich, S.P., Theory of Gearing: Kinematics, Geometry, and Synthesis, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 2012, 743 pages].
- Radzevich, S.P., Geometry of surfaces: A Practical Guide for Mechanical Engineers, 2nd edition, Springer International Publishing, 2019, XXVI, 329 pages. (1st edition: Radzevich, S.P., Geometry of Surfaces: A Practical Guide for Mechanical Engineers, Wiley, 2013, 264 pages).