The paper is focused on research results of dissimilar materials joining by adhesive bonding. Galvanized and non-galvanized steel sheets with a thickness of 0.8 mm were joined together. To compare the effect of the presence or absence of the Zn layer on the strength of the adhesive joints, control joints were made, consisting only of galvanized and only of non-galvanized materials. The materials were joined on one hand without any surface preparation, and on the other hand prepared by degreasing and mechanical roughening with sandpaper. Epoxy/PVC-Polymerblend adhesive with glass beads was used for bonding to check the thickness of the adhesive. The tensile lap-shear strength was tested according to DIN EN 1465. The joints made of galvanized materials only proved the highest, the joints made of nongalvanized materials only proved the lowest shear strength. The mixed joints did not reach the joint strength of galvanized materials, but exceeded the joint strength of non-galvanized materials. The adhesion of the adhesive to non-galvanized substrates seems to be the limiting factor of the strength of mixed joints
- G. Meschut, V. Janzen, T. Olfermann, J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 23, 5 (2014), 1515-1523, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-014-0962- 3
- C.Y. Choi, D.C. Kim, D.G. Nam, Y.D. Kim, Y.D. Park, J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 26, 9 (2010), 858-864, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1005-0302(10)60137-5
- Y. Zhang, C. Wang, H. Shan, Y. Li, Z. Luo, J. Mater. Process. Technol. 259 (2018), 33-44, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2018.04.021
- E. Rodríguez-Vidal, C. Sanz, J. Lambarri, I. Quintana, Opt. Laser Technol. 104 (2018), 73–82, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2018.02.003
- O. Izadi, P. Mosaddegh, M. Silani, M. Dinari, J. Manuf. Process. 30 (2017) 217–225, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.09.022
- K. Martinsen, S.J. Hu, B.E. Carlson, CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol. 64, 2 (2015) 679–699, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2015.05.006
- E. Ukar, F. Liébana, M. Andrés, I. Marcos, A. Lamikiz, Procedia Manuf. 13 (2017) 671–678, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2017.09.142
- Aluminium Automotive Manual, available on: https://www.european-aluminium.eu/resource-hub/aluminium-automotive-manual/
- T. Markovits, A. Bauernhuber, Phys. Procedia 56 (2014), 818 – 823, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2014.08.094
- B. Ufferman, T. Abke, M. Barker, A. Vivek, G.S. Daehn, Int. J. Adhes. Adhes. 83 (2018), 96-102, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2018.02.030
- J. Brezinová, A. Guzanová, D. Draganovská, Surface mechanical (Physical) Treatments Prior to Bonding. Handbook of Adhesive Technology: Third Edition. - New York: CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group, 2018 P. 19-66. ISBN 9781498736442
- L. da Silva, D.A. Dillard, B. Blackman, R.D. Adams eds., Testing Adhesive joints, Best Practises, Willey-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2012.
- H. McArthur, D. Spalding, Engineering Materials Science: Properties, Uses, Degradation, Remediation, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, 2004, 608 p.
- D. Kniewald, A. Guzanová, J. Brezinová, J. Adhes. Sci. Technol. 22, 1 (2008), 1-13.