Technologies for joining dissimilar materials in the automotive industry
- 1 Technical University of Kosice, Slovakia
The paper presents the results of research aimed at determining the quality of welds in steel and aluminum alloys. Laser welding technology, fusion-pressure welding in combination with adhesive bonding were used for joining. The present research describes a new bonding technology based on the resistance welding process with a combination of adhesive bonding. Its implementation allows the joining of aluminum and steel sheets at extremely short welding times with a high concentration of energy in combination with adhesive bonding. The quality of the joints was determined on the basis of the tensile shear test according to ISO 12996.
- K. Kawajiri, M. Kobayashi, K. Sakamoto, Lightweight materials equal lightweight greenhouse gas emissions: A historical analysis of greenhouse gases of vehicle material substitution, J. Cleaner Prod. 253 (2019).
- H.-Y. Wang, Y.-Q. Ma, L.-M. Liu, Effect of adhesive on laser-arc hybrid welding of aluminum alloy to high-strength steel joint, J. Iron Steel Res. Int. 27 (9) (2020) 1099–1107.
- A. Afseth, Ultra-high-strength aluminum alloys-vehicle production’s next big thing, Lightweight Des. Worldwide 10 (2017) 12–15.
- X. Chen, L. Li, D.J. Zhou, Research status of growth and inhibition mechanism of intermetallic compounds in aluminum and steel, Mater. Lett. 30 (2016) 125–132.
- Li M, Flores KM. Laser processing as a high-throughput method to investigate microstructure-processing-property relationships in multiprincipal element alloys. J Alloys Compd 2020, 825, 154025.
- Wu J, Zhang H, Feng Y, Luo BB. 3D multiphysical modelling of fluid dynamics and mass transfer in laser welding of dissimilar materials. Metals (Basel) 2018, 8(6), 443.
- Rahimi R, De Cooman BC, Biermann H, Mola J. Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-alloyed Fe-Cr- Ni-Mn-C stainless steels. Mater Sci Eng A 2014; 618: 46–55.
- Evdokimov A, Springer K, Doynov N, Ossenbrink R, Michailov V. Heat source model for laser beam welding of steel-aluminum lap joints. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 2017; 93: 709–16.
- Yan F, Fang X, Chen L, Wang C, Zhao J, Chai F, et al. Microstruc- ture evolution and phase transition at the interface of steel/Al dissimilar al- loys during Nd: YAG laser welding. Opt Laser Technol 2018; 108: 193–201.
- Indhu R, Soundarapandian S, Vijayaraghavan L. Yb: YAG laser welding of dual phase steel to aluminium alloy. J Mater Process Technol 2018; 262: 411–21.
- Evdokimov A, Obrosov A, Ossenbrink R, WeißS, Michailov V. Mechanical Prop- erties of Dissimilar Steel-Aluminum Welds. Mater Sci Eng A 2018; 722: 242–54.
- Hamelin CJ, Muránsky O, Smith MC, Holden TM, Luzin V, Bendeich PJ, et al. Validation of a numerical model used to predict phase distribution and residual stress in ferritic steel weldments. Acta Mater 2014; 75: 1–19.
- Teng ZK, Ghosh G, Miller MK, Huang S, Clausen B, Brown DW, et al. Neutron-diffraction study and modeling of the lattice parameters of a NiAl-precipitate-strengthened Fe-based alloy. Acta Mater 2012; 60: 5362–9.
- Ezazi MA, Yusof F, Sarhan AAD, Shukor MHA, Fadzil M. Employment of fiber laser technology to weld austenitic stainless steel 304l with alu- minum alloy 5083 using pre-placed activating flux. Mater Des 2015; 87: 105–23.
- Cui L, Chen B, Chen L, He D. Dual beam laser keyhole welding of steel/aluminum lapped joints. J Mater Process Technol 2018; 256: 87–97.
- Yuce C, Karpat F, Yavuz N. Investigations on the microstructure and mechanical properties of laser welded dissimilar galvanized steel –aluminum joints. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 2019, 104, 2693–2704.
- Madhusudana CV. Thermal contact conductance. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2014.
- He JY, Liu WH, Wang H, Wu Y, Liu XJ, Nieh TG, et al. Effects of Al addition on structural evolution and tensile properties of the FeCoNiCrMn high-entropy alloy system. Acta Mater 2014; 62: 105–13.
- Hartel U, Ilin A, Bantel C, Gibmeier J, Michailov V. Finite element modeling for the structural analysis of Al-Cu laser beam welding. Phys. Procedia 2016; 83: 1404–14.
- Chen H, Cai L. Theoretical model for predicting uniaxial stress-strain relation by dual conical indentation based on equivalent energy principle. Acta Mater 2016; 121: 181–9.
- Sigler DR, Carlson BE, Myasnikova Y, Karagoulis MJ. Multi-step direct welding of an aluminum-based workpiece to a steel workpiece. U.S. Patent 9, 999, 938, June 19, 2018.