Corrosion of steel reinforcement in concrete is the most common cause of deterioration of reinforced concrete structures which ultimately leads to structural failure. Maintenance and repair of concrete structures exposed to corrosion of reinforcement causes high costs worldwide. The simplest and at the same time practical mathematical model of corrosion degradation of reinforced concrete structures is to determine the remaining diameter of reinforcing bars based on the depth of corrosion penetration. The real depth of corrosion penetration differs from the corrosion depth that can be determined from the measured corrosion rates. To establish a relationship between the corrosion depths determined from measured corrosion rates and real depths of corrosion penetration, it is necessary to determine the socalled pitting factor. This paper will present the values of pitting factors for hot rolled and cold worked steel reinforcement bars embedded in concrete beam and slab specimens, using the galvanostatic pulse method and GalvaPulse measuring equipment.
- Luca Bertolini, Bernhard Elsener, Pietro Pedeferri, Elena Redaelli, Rob B. Polder: Corrosion of Steel in Concrete: Prevention, Diagnosis, Repair, 2nd Edition, Wiley-VCH, 2014.
- Li, C. Q.; Zheng, J. J.; Shao, L.: New Solution for Prediction of Chloride Ingress in Reinforced Concrete Flexural Member, ACI Materials Journal, 100(2003) 4, 319-325.
- John P. Broomfield: Corrosion of Steel in Concrete; Understanding, investigation and repair, 2nd edition, Taylor & Francis, USA and Canada, 2007.
- Rodríguez, J.; Ortega, L. M.; Aragoncillo, J.; Izquieredo, D.; Andrade, C.: Structural assessment methodology for residual life calculation of concrete structures affected by reinforcement corrosion, International RILEM Workshop on Life Prediction and Aging Management of Concrete Structures, Canes, France, 2000, 97-112.
- CONTECVET, A validated users manual for assessing the residual life of concrete structures – Manual for assessing corrosion-affected concrete structures, Instituto Eduardo Toroja, EC innovation programme IN30902I, Madrid, 2000.
- Mangat, S.P.; Elgarf, M.S.: Flexural Strength of Concrete Beams with Corroding Reinforcement, ACI Structural Journal 96 (1999) 1, 149-159.
- González, J.A.; Andrade, C.; Alonso, C.; Feliu, S.: Comparasion of rates of general corrosion and maximum pitting penetration on concrete embedded steel reinforcement, Cement and Concrete Research 25 (1995) 2, 257-264.
- Klinghoffer, O.; Frølund, T.: Rebar Corrosion Rate Measurements for Service Life Estimates, ACI Fall Convention 2000, Toronto, Canada, Committee 365 “Practical Application of Service Life Models”.
- Brite-Euram III “Smart Structures”, Contract No. BRPR-CT98- 0751: Integrated Monitoring Systems for Durability Assessment of Concrete Structures, Project Report, September 2002.
- Poursaee, A.: An Analysis of the Factors Influencing Electrochemical Measurements of the Condition of Reinforcing Steel in Concrete Structures, Ph.D. thesis in Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2007.
- Grandić, D.: Calculation procedures for evaluating remaining load bearing capacity and serviceability of corroded reinforced concrete structures, Doctoral Thesis, Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Zagreb, Croatia, 2008. (in Croatian)
- Grandić, D.; Bjegović, D.: "Reinforcement Corrosion Rate in Cracked Areas of RC-Members Subjected to Sustained Load", Andrade, C.; Mancini, G. (ur.), Modelling of Corroding Concrete Structures - Proceedings of the Joint fib-RILEM Workshop held in Madrid, Spain, November 2010, Heidelberg, Njemačka: Springer, 2011., str. 65-83. (ISBN: 978-94-007-0676-7)
- Cairns, J.; Plizari, G.A.; Du, Y.; Law, D.W.; Franzoni, C.: Mechanical Properties of Corrosion-Damaged Reinforcement, ACI Materials Journal, 102 (2005) 4, 256-264.
- Val, D.V.; Melchers, R.E.: Reliability of Deteriorating RC Slab Bridges, Journal of Structural Engineering, December 1997, 1638- 1644.
- Stewart, M.G.; Al-Harthy, A.: Pitting corrosion and structural reliability of corroding RC Structures: Experimental data and probabilistic analysis, Reliability Engineering and System Safety 93 (2008), 373-382.
- Sascha Lay, Peter Schießl: LIFECON DELIVERABLE D 3.2 - Service Life Models, Technische Universität München, 2003.
- Pallson, R.; Mirza, S.M.: Mechanical response of corroded steel reinforcement of abandoned concrete bridge, ACI Structural Journal, 99 (2002) 2, 157-162.
- Tang, F.; Lin, Z.; Chen, G.; Yi, W.: Three-dimensional pit measurements and statistical mechanical degradation analysis of deformed steel bars subjected to accelerated corrosion, Construction and Building Materials, 70 (2014), 104-117.
- Apostolopoulos, C.A.; Demis, S.; Papadakis, V.G.: Chloride-induced corrosion of steel reinforcement – Mechanical performance and depth analysis, Construction and Building Materials, 38 (2013), 139-146. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.087
- ASTM Designation: C 1202 - 91: Standard Test Method for Electrical Indication of Concrete’s Ability to Resist Chloride Ion Penetration.
- Ukrainczyk, V.; Bjegović, D.: Materials testing in the insurance system of durability of concrete structures, Civil engineering yearbook 1995, Croatian Society of Civil Engineers, Zagreb, Croatia, 1995., pp. 209-286. (in Croatian)