Proper laboratory design is a key element in minimising the risk of contamination in the laboratory. In most countries, ISO/IEC 17025 is the standard for which most labs must hold accreditation in order to be deemed technically competent, and the studies for meeting the requirements of this standard starts from the design, especially in Forensic Genetic Laboratories. Contamination is the top concern in Forensic Genetic Laboratories. In the laboratories designed according to this standard, particular attention is paid to the physical separation between the post-PCR, PCR and pre-PCR area, avoiding the back-movement of samples and material from the post-PCR area to the pre-PCR area. Separate physical spaces for the processing and analysis of known and questioned samples must be guaranteed, and simultaneity must be avoided in the processing and analysis of high and low DNA content samples. In this study, a Forensic Genetics Laboratory has been designed regarding the requirements of 17025 standard. This is the first study demonstrating a prototype of a Forensic Genetics Laboratory design from an internal architectural point of view, regarding the compliance with the ISO/IEC 17025 standard, including some recommendations for the new Forensic Genetics Laboratories planned to be built.
- A. Fatah, K. Higgins, Forensic Laboratories: Handbook for Facility Planning, Design, Construction, and Moving (NIJ Report 600-97, Accessed November 24, 2021).
- M. Márquez, C., Fernández, Ó.G., Herrera, M.R.P., & Gutiérrez, J. A. L. Spanish Journal of Legal Medicine, 43, 20 (2017).
- J. Aguilar, T. Barnes, J. Browne, Y. Burney, J. Byrd, B. Carver, A. Denmark, S. Halla, L. Hartman, A. Kennedy, D. Leben , G. Matheson, J. McClaren, R. McElroy, R. Miranda, K. Mohr, M. Mount, S. Sigel, J. Smither, M. Taylor, A. Watts, S. Williams, Forensic Science Laboratories: Handbook for Facility Planning, Design, Construction, and Relocation., NIST Interagency/Internal Report (NISTIR), National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 2013) https://doi.org/10.6028/NIST.IR.7941.
- G.C. Omari, S.V. Manyele, G. Mwaluko, Engineering, 11, 604 (2019).
- A. Mozayani, C. Noziglia, The forensic laboratory handbook procedures and practice. Springer Science & Business Media, (2010).
- Laboratuvar Sistemleri İnovatif ve Ergonomik Çözümler, Altınbölme, Ofis Bölme, Mobilya Sistemleri, Smart Partition Systems, (2020) https://altinbolme.com.tr/blog/laboratuvar-sistemleri-inovatif-ve-ergonomik