Free form or shaped surfaces are found on a large number of modern engineering products. 3- or multi-axis CNC milling is usually used in their production. CAM systems are almost exclusively used in the creation of control programs. The aim of the presented research was to compare the quality of shaped surfaces made by 3- and 5-axis milling using three frequently used strategies. A sample with hemispherical surfaces was designed for the experiment. The surfaces predicted by the CAM system were compared with the surfaces actually produced. The disagreement of the predicted surface deviations with the deviations of the produced surfaces was demonstrated. In the evaluation of surface roughness, the advantage of 5-axis milling was partially demonstrated when one of the strategies achieved lower roughness, at two strategies the roughness was identical to 3-axis milling.
- Bologa, O., Breaz, R.E., Racz, S.G., Crenganiș, M. Decision-making tool for moving from 3-axes to 5-axes CNC machine-tool. Procedia Computer Science 2016, 91, 184 – 192
- Sadílek, M., Poruba, Z., Čepová, L., Šajgalík, M. Increasing the Accuracy of Free-Form Surface Multiaxis Milling. Materials 2021, 14, 15 p
- Sadílek, M., Kousal, L., Náprstková, N., Szotkowski, T., Hajnyš, J. The Analysis of Accuracy of Machined Surfaces and Surfaces Roughness after 3axis and 5axis Milling. Manufacturing technology 2018, 18, 1015 – 1022.
- Stejskal, M., Vavruška, P., Zeman, P., Lomička, J. Optimization of Tool Axis Orientations in Multi-Axis Toolpaths to Increase Surface Quality and Productivity. Procedia CIRP 2021, 101 69– 72.
- Batista, M.F., Rodrigues, A.R., Coelho, R.T. Modelling and characterisation of roughness of moulds produced by high-speed machining with ball-nose end mill. J. of Engineering Manufacture 2015, 1–12.
- Shchurov, I.A, Al-Taie, L.H. Constant Scallop-Height Tool Path Generation for Ball-End Mill Cutters and Three-Axis CNC Milling Machines. Procedia Engineering 2017, 206, 1137–1141.
- Kolar, P., Sulitka, M., Matyska, V., Fojtu, P. Optimization of five axis finish milling using a virtual machine tool. MM science j. 2019, 3534-3543.
- Vakondios, D., Kyratsis, P., Yaldiz, S., Antoniadis, A. Influence of milling strategy on the surface roughness in ball end milling of the aluminum alloy Al7075-T6. Measurement 2012, 45, 1480–1488.
- Bagci, E. Yüncüoğlu E.U. The Effects of Milling Strategies on Forces, Material Removal Rate, Tool Deflection, and Surface Errors for the Rough Machining of Complex Surfaces. J. of Mechanical Engineering 2017, 63, 643-656.
- Shajari, S., Sadeghi, M.H., Hassanpour, H. The Influence of Tool Path Strategies on Cutting Force and Surface Texture during Ball End Milling of Low Curvature Convex Surfaces. The Scientific World J. 2014, 14 p.
- Mali, R. Aiswaresh, R., Gupta, T. V. K. The influence of tool-path strategies and cutting parameters on cutting forces, tool wear and surface quality in finish milling of Aluminium 7075 curved surface. The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2020, 108, 589–601.
- Souza, A.F., Machado, A., Beckert, S.F., Diniz, A.D. Evaluating the roughness according to the tool path strategy when milling free form surfaces for mold application. Procedia CIRP 2014, 14, 188 – 193.
- Ramos, A.M., Relvas, C., Simões, J.A. The influence of finishing milling strategies on texture, roughness and dimensional deviations on the machining of complex surfaces. J. of Materials Processing Technology 2003, 136, 209–216.
- Logins, A., Torims, T. The Influence of High-Speed Milling Strategies on 3D Surface Roughness Parameters. Procedia Engineering 2015, 100, 1253 - 1261.
- Sales, H.R., Amirabadi, H., Hosseinabadi, H.N., Bagheri, M.R. Experimental Study of Tool Path Strategies for Three and Five axes Milling along with Feed Rate Optimization. Indian J. of Science and Technology 2016, 9, 1-12.