In this paper, a thin infinite plate of CoCrMo alloy with a straight crack was loaded perpendicularly to the crack plane. CoCrMo alloys are due to their suitable mechanical and corrosion properties widely used for dental applications. The importance of good mechanical properties is reflected in ensuring the functional and technical durability of dental appliances. The intention of this paper is to use a mathematical approach in analyzing a thin infinite plate with a straight crack to the rather complex occurrences within the cohesive zones around the crack tips. The dependence of plastic zone magnitude around the crack tip on an external load of dental CoCrMo alloy plate was considered in this paper. Static tensile tests were carried out to determine the mechanical properties of dental CoCrMo alloy. At plastic deformation, the dental CoCrMo alloy is nonlinearly hardened in accordance with the Ramberg-Osgood equation which parameters were determined using a least-squares method from experimental data. The application of the Dugdale model the plastic zone magnitude around the crack tip was determined. The stress intensity coefficient from the cohesive stresses was calculated using Green functions. The analytical methods, assuming a small plastic zone around a crack tip, were used in the analysis. The results were obtained by means of a commercial software package and presented in the form of diagrams.
- B. Li, A. Mukasyan, A.Varma, Mater. Res. Inovations, 7, 4 (2003).
- X.G. Chen, X.R. Wu, M.G Yan, Eng. Fract. Mech., 41, 6 (1992).
- M. Hoffman, T. Seeger, Dugdale Solutions for Strain Hardening Materials. The Crack Tip Opening Displacement in Elastic-Plastic Fracture Mechanics. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on the CTOD Methodology, 57-77. Geesthacht, (1985).
- A. Neimitz, Eng. Fract. Mech., 71, 11 (2004).
- P.S. Patwardhan, R.A. Nalavde, D. Kujawski, Procedia Struct. Integrity, 17 (2019).
- D. Pustaić, M. Lovrenić, Analytical and Numerical Investigation of Crack Opening in Strain-Hardening Material. In: Proceedings of 5th International Congress of Croatian Society of Mechanics and CD-ROM, Croatian Society of Mechanics. Croatia, Trogir (2006).
- D. Pustaić, M. Lovrenić-Jugović, Mathematical Modeling of Cohesive Zone in the Ductile Metallic Materials. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Congress of Croatian Society of Mechanics. Croatian Society of Mechanics. Croatia, Split (2018).