This study focused on the fire-retardant treatment of wood and wood-based composites using various methods. The recent developments in the fire-retardant standards and classification of wood and wood-based composites were reviewed. Most commonly used fire-retardants and commercial application methods of fire retardants such as boron compounds and phosphates to improve fire resistance of wood and wood based composites were explained. Furthermore, fire-retardant mechanism was informed. Novel nanomaterials used in the fire resistance of wood and wood-based composites were introduced. Significant criteria in choosing of the suitable fire retardants for wood and wood-based composites were explained
- Anonymous. European Project. FP7-SME-2012-1-315425. Flame-retardant coatings based on nano-magnesium hydroxide, huntite and hydromagnesite for wood applications, wood- Flaretcoat, 2015.
- Anonymous. Innovative eco-efficient high fire performance wood products for demanding applications. Material related to the Project. 2015 [http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/innofirewood/].
- Anonymous. Flame retardants under fire. 2015 [https://www2.buildinggreen.com/article/flame-retardants-under-fire].
- Ayrilmis, N., Kartal, S.N., Laufenberg, T., Winandy, J.E., White, R.H. Physical and mechanical properties and fire, decay, and termite resistance of treated oriented strandboard. Forest Products Journal 2015;55(5):74-81.
- Le, T.D.H., Tsai, M.T. Experimental assessment of the fire resistance mechanisms of timber-steel composites. Materials 2019;12:4003.
- Ostman, B.A.L., Mikkola, E. European classes for the reaction to fire performance of wood products. Holz als Roh- und Werkstoff 2006;64:327-337.