This paper presents an overview of hybrid technologies for joining dissimilar materials in automotive applications. CMT welding/brazing technology has been experimentally verified for the purpose of joining dissimilar steels or steels and aluminium alloy. Two types of filler material were used, one based on Cu and the other based on Al. When joining dissimilar steels, a true brazed joint was formed, while when joining steels and aluminium, a hybrid – welded/brazed joint was formed. Subsequently, metallographic analysis of the joints and testing of their load carrying capacity was carried out.
- B. Mezrag, F. Deschaux-Beaume, L. Sabatier, B. Wattrisse, M. Benachour. Microstructure and properties of steel-aluminum Cold Metal Transfer joints. [cit. 2022-04-02]. Available for the internet: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-03345667/document
- H. Lei, Y. Li, B.E. Carlson, Z. Lin. Microstructure and Mechanical Performance of Cold Metal Transfer Spot Joints of AA6061-T6 to Galvanized DP590 Using Edge Plug Welding Mode, J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. 2016, 138(7): 071009, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4032082
- D. Saha, Y.D. Park. A Review on Al-Al/Al-Steel Resistance Spot Welding Technologies for Light Weight Vehicles. Journal of Welding and Joining 29:35-40, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2011.29.4.397
- D. Varanasi, D. Koncz-Horvath, A. Sycheva, P. Baumli, G. Kaptay. Cracking of Copper Brazed Steel Joints Due to Precipitation of MnS upon Cooling. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 29, (2020), 8183–8193, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-020-05293-9
- M. Peng, H. Liu, Y. Liang, W. Xu, Y. Zhao, S. Chen, J. Weng, J. Yang. CMT welding-brazing of al/steel dissimilar materials using cycle-step mode. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 18, (2022), 1267-1280, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2022.03.043
- S. Selvi, A. Vishvaksenan, E. Rajasekar. Cold metal transfer (CMT) technology - An overview. Defence Technology, 14:1, (2018), 28-44, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dt.2017.08.002