Design and CFD simulation of the exhaust manifold of the Formula Student vehicle
- 1 Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Montenegro, Podgorica, Montenegro
One of the biggest challenges in the FSAE competition is adapting the power unit to the strict regulations of the competition. The task of the exhaust manifold is to enable the best possible flow of exhaust gases from the engine to the environment. A properly designed vehicle exhaust manifold is of great importance for enabling better performance of the power unit. There are several different concepts for designing exhaust manifolds. Each concept has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the main guidelines when designing the exhaust manifold is to enable air flow with as little local resistance as possible so that the exhaust gases are released into the environment as soon as possible. In this work, a 3D model of three types of exhaust manifolds was created, and then a CFD simulation of airflow through exhaust manifolds was performed using ANSYS Fluent software. CFD simulations help to a great extent with a better design of the exhaust manifold.
- Mohamad, B., Ali, M. Q., Neamah, H. A., Zelentsov, A., & Amroune, S. (2020). Fluid dynamic and acoustic optimization methodology of a formula-student race car engine exhaust system using multilevel numerical CFD models. Diagnostyka, 21.
- Yamamoto, S., Matsumoto, S., Ueda, T., Kodama, T., Honda, Y., & Wakabayashi, K. (2007). A Study on Intake and Exhaust System of Turbocharged Engine under the Regulations of Formula SAE (No. 2007-32-0113). SAE Technical Paper. 36-39.
- Narang, H., Sharma, K., Mehta, D., Sheth, S., Bhanderi, S., & Patel, A. Design and Fabrication of Exhaust System of Formula Student Car
- Mohamad, B. A. (2021). Modelling and testing of advanced intake and exhaust system components for race car engines (Doctoral dissertation, University of Miskolc).
- Teja, M. A., Ayyappa, K., Katam, S., & Anusha, P. (2016). Analysis of exhaust manifold using computational fluid dynamics. Fluid Mech Open Acc, 3(1), 1000129.
- Umesh, K. S., & Rajagopal, V. P. K. (2013). CFD Analysis of Exhaust Manifold of Multi-Cylinder Si Engine Todetermine Optimal Geometry for Reducing Emissions. International Journal of Automobile Engineering Research and Development, 45-56.
- Formula Student Rules. (2022). SAE
- Lučić, M. (2022). Kinematic analysis of the slider-crank mechanism of an internal combustion (IC) engine using modern software. Mechanization in agriculture & Conserving of the resources, 68(1), 11-17.
- Mike, Narvigia. (2014). Performance Exhaust Systems: How to Design, Fabricate, and Install. CarTech, ISBN 978-1-61325-207-9